SketchBook Forum
Hello Sketchbook Community Members! Sketchbook started a new exciting endeavor. This forum is now read-only mode. Please visit the new Sketchbook Help Center, https://help.sketchbook.com/ in the future. Happy sketching!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I use the layers, color and shade my cartoon characters?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
5539 Views, 3 Replies

How do I use the layers, color and shade my cartoon characters?

I'm new to drawing digitally. I've been looking at YouTube videos all day. So far I've figured out how to make my background transparent. Well I forgot just that quick I'm working on how I made my background transparent now.

I've watched layer, coloring and shading videos over and over and still can't seem to comprehend how to use them. 

I think I need step by step text and picture tutorials lol. 

My Operating System is Windows 10 and I've installed the free Autodesk Sketchbook version 5.0.2 application from the Windows store.

By the way, the image or screenshot here is not showing my transparent background that I worked on earlier. I can't seem to find the file I saved, instead I only find my exported files.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
david.lau
in reply to: Anonymous

I would try to use the desktop version of SketchBook as well.

www.sketchbook.com/thankyou

For the Windows Store version, you need to save the file as a .tif file. Once done, all the sketches will maintain a layer.  A jpg or png file will not maintain a layer stack for later use.

Normally, you need to keep a layer for each item you plan to sketch with...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arDLLNOcbkA

David Lau
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: david.lau

Thanks SO much for the link to that video! I'm trying to follow along right now! I see the video is 5 years old. I'm not able to move my layers as she is doing in the video. I don't see anything on the layers editor that will allow me to move the layers up or down.

I'm trying to color now and when I color my characters face, the color can go outside the line art. I also realized when coloring I can brush the character's eyes, hair or anywhere I'm not focusing on coloring at the moment.

By the way I am still using the windows store Autodesk Sketchbook application on my desktop computer.

Attached is a picture of a character I'm working on currently.practice.PNG

Message 4 of 4
david.lau
in reply to: Anonymous

Eureka!  I would download the 'DESKTOP" version of SketchBook.  It is here:

www.sketchbook.com/thankyou

It will have the features that resemble the demo video that is about 5 years old.  The more you do it, the better you become.

David Lau

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report