SketchBook Forum
Hello Sketchbook Community Members! Sketchbook started a new exciting endeavor. This forum is now read-only mode. Please visit the new Sketchbook Help Center, https://help.sketchbook.com/ in the future. Happy sketching!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken Images Entirely

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
938 Views, 4 Replies

Broken Images Entirely

Okay, I am pretty frustrated because this has been going on for awhile now with seemingly no way to fix it. I use Autodesk SketchBook on my Samsung Galaxy S6 Tab. I have not deleted the app in a long time, I did it once to fix something awhile ago. Now, I have opened it up and went to some older drawings to work on and a notification pops up and says: "Oops. Failed to open image." I click okay and then my drawing is just gone. If I upload an image to a new canvas then guess what? All of my layers are gone because it uploads the previous drawing as an image so it can't register any of the layers. This happens all the time lately, usually with drawings that I haven't touched in a few weeks and I'm furious about it and trying not to be. I have tried deleting and re-installing the app once to see if that would fix it for newer drawings. Nope. Did not work.

Yes, I have restarted my tablet. No, I have not messed or moved with the gallery album for the the app. Please, somebody fix this. I can't finish a drawing in one sitting on top of doing school, no freaking way and I would like to be able to continue my drawing with my layers right when I left off as it should. I really don't want to have to use another app because the technological learning curve for digital art sucks sometimes especially since all of the programs are different. I like the simplicity of Autodesk's design and I know how to use all the tools which take two steps instead of 10 steps and I like the brushes. I know what they are and I can recognize them easily. I really don't want to have to switch apps but this has got to be fixed, it's been going on all summer/

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
david.lau
in reply to: Anonymous

I am so sorry that you may have lost some images/sketches.  We have reports of broken images but I can't seem to reproduce the issue.  I would check out the following post (step 7):

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/sketchbook-forum/android-sketchbook-tips-and-tricks/td-p/9385407

An "easy" way to reset SketchBook is to go to Settings > (Search) > Apps > Storage > Clear Data/Clear Cache (bottom of screen).

David Lau
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: david.lau

@david.lauThank you very much! I actually found out how to fix it purely on accident yesterday. I was deleting the files without realizing it whenever I would clean junk out of my gallery. I'm very happy to know that this was just a user error because that's a lot easier to fix! I had to idea that data could be saved as a file like that, it was gray with an exclamation point on it. A friend of mind told me that's what it was and I had no idea! I'm sorry for my frustration yesterday, this had been happening all summer and I was just upset about it. But I'm very happy to know that it was my own fault and that's much easier to fix!

Thank you for taking the time to respond to me! I really love Autodesk Sketchbook. The format and brushes, the tools are so easy to use unlike other platforms I've worked with. I tried a couple yesterday and I just don't like them so I'm very happy! I just figured I would let you know that it was indeed my own fault without realizing it and that maybe now you can inform others just in case they're doing that too! Thank you so much!

Message 4 of 5
david.lau
in reply to: Anonymous

I am curious exactly how you fixed it.  We are getting a lot of issues and it would be very helpful.  

David Lau
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: david.lau

Sure! Okay so in my gallery there are two albums. One is called "SketchBookPreview" this is where an image of your art is stored, however, there is one called "SketchBook3" (it might be called three because I deleted it twice and it had to make another one when I made a new drawing). This album has images in it that are gray and they have a circle with an exclamation point in them. I was deleting these because I thought they were junk BUT it turns out these images have data in them for your images. This data is stuff like your layers, brushes, and things like that I think.

If you delete this album, "SketchBook3" then you essentially delete the files that make your painting or drawing, a thing that you continue working on and progressing. If you delete these and open up a drawing that you are working on, you might get a notification menu that pops up in the Autodesk SketchBook App that says: "Oops. Failed to load image." And the drawing will just disappear if you click okay. This is because when you deleted that album in your gallery, you basically deleted the information that was storing those files and making them able to be worked on. I hope I explained this clearly. I will try to take screenshots and add them here later!'

@david.lau 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report