Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
896 Views, 5 Replies

Need help

Hi, my name is Fernando, i have been working in a wire frame structure i´d like simulate, the intention is make a static stress simulation, later make a modal simulation and for the end respond spectrum simulation.
I worked in Mechanical Simulation 2016. and the model was made in Autocad 2015.
The cuestion is when i try to put a distribute load over the columns and i want to run the simulation the model not works, the button the run simulation stay desactive i dont´n know what i have to do. So if someone can give me some help i really aprecciate, i attache the file, and wating the positive answer.
thanks a lot....

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
John_Holtz
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous 

The problem has nothing to do with the distributed loads. The problem is that part 255 is completely undefined. You cannot run an analysis when any part has not been fully defined.

These are your options:

1. Define the properties for part 255. (However, I do not see any geometry related to part 255.)
  2. Suppress part 255 if it is not needed.
  3. Delete part 255 if it is not needed.

Also, you only have 1 beam element for each member. That will not give accurate results. You need to divide the line segments into appropriate number of elements. (The concept is the same when making a model using solids. You need to "mesh" the model because smaller elements give more accurate results.)

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: John_Holtz

Hi John, i really apreciate the time for answer me, but before i post the question, i doing what You Say delete the parte 255, but idont divide the elements.

Because thats the distribution of the proyect.

So what happen if change the model in Autocad and create some layers for each element... ??

Message 4 of 6
John_Holtz

First, I do not know why you are using AutoCAD to create such a simple model. Why not draw it entirely in Sim Mech? (Perhaps the AutoCAD model includes other things, such as the beam drawn as solids. And then you drew the centerlines in AutoCAD and exported them for Sim Mech. This would be a time saving approach if the AutoCAD model already was drawn. If you had to draw the lines in AutoCAD just to transfer them to Sim Mech, then you are not saving any time, in my opinion.)

If you change the AutoCAD model, then you need to redo everything in Sim Mech. Once the geometry is in Sim Mech, I do not see any advantage to making changes in AutoCAD. The only reason to start from scratch is if the geometry changes drastically, and then only if it is too difficult to draw the changes in Sim Mech. Certainly, changing the layer numbers in AutoCAD, re-importing the model, setting everything up again in Sim Mech is no time savings. You can change the layer numbers directly in Sim Mech. (Select the lines, right-click > Modify Attributes or something like that.)

Dividing long lines to create shorter elements does not change the geometry. It gives more accurate results. If you want inaccurate, possibly incorrect results, then you do not need to divide the lines. 😀

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: John_Holtz

Thank you Jhon. for answer me...i really appreciate.

the true is this, somebody taugh me this way, draw in AUTOCAD and later import to mechanical simulation, so i never drawn into Sim mech, but,  i can do,this,  but where i can find a tutorial to learn to draw into the Sim Mech. Id like to beginn as soon as possible....

again thank a lot Jhon...

Message 6 of 6
John_Holtz

The tutorials that you want to go through are under "Start & Learn > Help > User's Guide > Examples". All of those exercises use hand-built models.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report