Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material Properties Entry Problem

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
450 Views, 5 Replies

Material Properties Entry Problem

I am running a static stress analysis with linear material models.

When I got to enter my custom material properties, I am either prompted with this: Screen Shot 2015-02-23 at 2.49.06 PM.png

or the material properties show up, but when i click apply, I am prompted with: 

The material you have selected is incomplete. Please review the items which are flagged with a "red light"

I am running Autodesk Simulation through Parallels on a Mac, but I don't believe this to be the source of the issue.

I already tried the solution given here: 

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/simulation-mechanical/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcar...

Was hoping someone could give me some advice/point me in the right direction, haven't been able to find anything else on the forums like this. 

thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Andrew.Sartorelli
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Trbrodt,

Which version of Simulation Mechanical are you using? You can determine this by going to the "?" in the upper right and selecting "About". You will see a build number in the format 2015.XX.XX.XXXX MM-DD-YYYY.

Are you using a different number format system from the US/Imperial standard of , for group seperator and . for decimal seperator? This is typical in Europe and other countries with the . as the group seperator and the , is the decimal seperator.

Andrew Sartorelli - Autodesk GmbH
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Andrew.Sartorelli

2015.20.00.0207 23-Jul-2014

I am using/want to use metric SI.
My mass density and elastic modulus are both whole numbers, so I didn't use any separators.
For poisson ratio, I used .45.

Thank you so much for the quick reply!
Message 4 of 6
AstroJohnPE

The message implies that the unit system is not defined. Obviously, you would not have gotten to the point of being able to enter material properties if the unit system had not been defined, so this indicates a problem with the software being able to read the model.

1. When you are entering the material properties, does it show the units?
  2. Does the problem occur with other models where you edit/enter the material properties? What happens if you are using a different unit system?
  3. What regional settings are set on your computer? (Assuming that such a thing exists when running on a Mac.) I do not have experience with settings where the comma ( , ) is normally used for the decimal point, so I do not know how the poisson ratio should be entered (0.45 or 0,45).

I think there is a 95% probability that the problem (or a problem you have not yet encountered) is because you are running on a Mac. There are too many obscure things being used by Sim Mechanical that I think it is unlikely that all of them will work on the different architecture. The other possibility is the name of the model or any of the folders in which the model is stored. If the name includes any non standard characters (anything other than a through z, numbers, and a few "special" characters like - and _), that could be causing a problem.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: AstroJohnPE

1. Yes, it shows the units

2. It does occur on other models. I have tried it with different unit systems and same problem.

3. The regional settings are all set to US. (In parallels it acts the same as Windows)

I would agree with you, but I have been using Simulation this way for the past year and never had an issue until now.

All my models are named with just basic letters.

Thank you for the response, much appreciated

-Tommy
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

I have also had this same problem with the material properties of my custom libraries.

Editing or adding the material from FemPro shows no properties or it wants to convert.  I had been working back and forth between SI and metric in tree.

Library manager shows all properties, but not in FemPro.

If I create new library and move material to it, it showed correctly.

I am running Win 7, 64 bit, Sim 2015 SP1 latest version.

Not much help, but you are not the only one with this problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report