Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timber Member Design Check

35 REPLIES 35
SOLVED
Message 1 of 36
simjack
2051 Views, 35 Replies

Timber Member Design Check

Hi,

I am carrying an assessment of a timber truss. 

I assigned each member a "Member type". For example, member 8 is a "top Chord" member type. The effective length for buckling above major axis has been defined to coincide with points where the member meets adjoining elements and for buckling along minor axis every 400mm. I tried to define bracing for "lateral buckling" at every 400mm as well, however, when I run the analysis the effective length comes as 7.09m Do you know why is that?

Also I was wondering, does the software automatically set up the material parameters for an appropriate load duration? And the deflection values, are those final deflection values including creep? 

I have attached the model and was wondering whether you could have a look and advise on the issue or point out any other issues connected to the model. 

Thank you

35 REPLIES 35
Message 2 of 36
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: simjack

Hi @simjack

You missed the model.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 36
simjack
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Sorry, I try again.

Message 4 of 36
simjack

Any ideas anyone?

Message 5 of 36
Simau

Hi @simjack

You haven't created a "top chord" type of element, but only a name "top chord".

You need to create a new type of bar as shown in the screenshot below

Type de barre1.jpg

M. Agayr
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 36
simjack
in reply to: Simau

Hi Simau,

I think that is what I have done. 

If you have a look you highlighted "Elelement de construction" in properties box but "type de barre" in a pop out window?

Message 7 of 36
Simau

@simjack

Sorry, my Robot is now busy with a hugType de barre2.jpge lodel, so i can't make a new screenshot.

You have to create a new type.

LMK if this modified screnn is understandable, if not i'll make a new one asap.

M. Agayr
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 36
Artur.Kosakowski

Hi @simjack

You may find the recording of the 3rd Robot webinar helpful as the principles of the timber design in Robot are exactly the same as the ones for steel design.

See: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/robot-structural-analysis-forum/robot-structural-analysis-webinars/td...

@Simau Thank you for your help.

If one or more of these posts answered your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 36
simjack

Thank you for your quick reply. I am going to do what you said, create a new type. I dont understand however how is it different to what I have there now?

Message 10 of 36
simjack
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

I feel like i've done what the video says. I've defined the internal bracing for lateral buckling at every 400mm but yet I am still finding the effective length to be 7.33m (screenshot2) I cant figure out why?

Message 11 of 36
Simau

Hi

Your model and results are corrects

Top chord.jpg

M. Agayr

EESignature

Message 12 of 36
simjack

however, why is the lateral buckling length being 7.39m I tried to define it as 400mm?

Message 13 of 36
Simau

@simjack

You must check this option:

See attached picture

M. Agayr

EESignature

Message 14 of 36
simjack

that one is for buckling, not LTB and this one seems to work?

Message 15 of 36
Simau

@simjack

it seems to me that you are not convinced.
what do you mean by LTB
There are 2 possibilities of buckling, one in Y direction, that is to say in the plane of the truss, and one in Z direction, that is to say out of the plane of the truss.
In the out-of-plane direction L and Lf = 40cm
In the plane of the truss L  (bar 8) = 7.94 and Lf = 2.33m 

See  attached Pics

M. Agayr

EESignature

Message 16 of 36
simjack

Im not convinced at all. LTB = lateral torsional buckling for members imposed to flexure 

Message 17 of 36
Simau

@simjack

Sorry, my mistake du to a mismatch between french and english.

Yes you are rigth.

By defining Top chord type, use relative length option ( 0.4/7.95 = 0.05)

See pics

M. Agayr

EESignature

Message 18 of 36
simjack

Hi Arthur, 

Could you please have another look at the model and comment on your thoughts? I seem to be going in circles here. I defined the lateral restraints for all buckling in Y and Z axis, for LTB (for the top flange only as I dont think there's a requirement to apply any to the bottom flange since it should be in compression?) and yet getting strange effective lengths for lateral buckling. Could you please comment as at the moment I have no confidence in my model and results I am getting. 

Also is the deflection taking creep into account?

Thank you

Message 19 of 36
Simau

@simjack

for LTB (for the top flange only as I dont think there's a requirement to apply any to the bottom flange since it should be in compression?)

Yes you need also to defined lateral restraints for bottom flanges, as they may be in compression.

LTB.jpg

M. Agayr

EESignature

Message 20 of 36
simjack

You're right. However, I did apply it in my latest version (r2) and it still didnt make any difference.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report