Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timber Member Design Check

35 REPLIES 35
SOLVED
Message 1 of 36
simjack
2050 Views, 35 Replies

Timber Member Design Check

Hi,

I am carrying an assessment of a timber truss. 

I assigned each member a "Member type". For example, member 8 is a "top Chord" member type. The effective length for buckling above major axis has been defined to coincide with points where the member meets adjoining elements and for buckling along minor axis every 400mm. I tried to define bracing for "lateral buckling" at every 400mm as well, however, when I run the analysis the effective length comes as 7.09m Do you know why is that?

Also I was wondering, does the software automatically set up the material parameters for an appropriate load duration? And the deflection values, are those final deflection values including creep? 

I have attached the model and was wondering whether you could have a look and advise on the issue or point out any other issues connected to the model. 

Thank you

35 REPLIES 35
Message 21 of 36
Simau
in reply to: simjack

@simjack

I didn't see any problem in my model (here attached)

Even without LTB top chords are not correct.

Res_1.jpg

M. Agayr
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 22 of 36
simjack
in reply to: Simau

any chance you could re-submit in lower (2017) version?

Message 23 of 36
Simau

@simjack

Here it is

M. Agayr
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 24 of 36
simjack

Thank you for your help Simau.

Your model appears to work for member 8 but if you have a look at member 9 who is assigned exactly the same parameters as member 8. The buckling is not even being checked ? 

I find it hard to believe that it takes this long to solve it really. i dont understand what Im missing here.

Message 25 of 36
Simau

@simjack

Both structure and loads are not symmetric .
Buckling may not be preponderant for the bar 9.

Non_Symjpg.jpg

M. Agayr

EESignature

Message 26 of 36
simjack

I dont think it would be this case. 

Message 27 of 36
Simau

Non_Symjpg2.jpg

M. Agayr

EESignature

Message 28 of 36
Simau

Will take a look later

M. Agayr

EESignature

Message 29 of 36
Simau

@simjack

A new model with top chords splited.

Only 3 parts don't work and as you see they are not symetrical.

splited.jpg

Model attached

M. Agayr

EESignature

Message 30 of 36
simjack

Hi Simau,

Thank you for your help Simau. However, by splitting the bars, you changed the bending stresses in the members. I'd prefer to get the result I'd expect by running the analysis rather than simply amending the structure to get what could potentially be right. 

@Artur.Kosakowski Could you please have a quick look at the attached model and let me know what you think. Why is the lateral buckling length not taken as 400mm although thats what I defined it to be for bottom and top chord? I recon I followed the steps you recommend in Webinar 3.

Is the serviceability deflection taking creep into an account?

Message 31 of 36
Simau

@simjack

Caractéristique.jpg

M. Agayr

EESignature

Message 32 of 36
simjack

@Artur.Kosakowski Can you please have a look. I am honestly getting a little desperate here now. 

Message 33 of 36
Artur.Kosakowski

Hi @simjack

Try to define the internal LTB bracings using the relative values (e.g. 0.2L, 0.4L etc.) rather than the absolute ones (such as 1.2m; 1.4m etc.). 

The influence of creep on deflection is disregarded.

If I managed to answer your question(s) press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solution(s) much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 34 of 36
simjack
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

OK. Thanks for clarifying the deflection. Is there a way to amend Ksys factor?

Message 35 of 36
Artur.Kosakowski

Hi @simjack

In this way:

Ksys.JPG 

If I managed to answer your question(s) press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solution(s) much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 36 of 36
Artur.Kosakowski

Hi @simjack

@Artur.Kosakowski Could you please have a quick look at the attached model and let me know what you think. Why is the lateral buckling length not taken as 400mm although thats what I defined it to be for bottom and top chord? I recon I followed the steps you recommend in Webinar 3.

This was actually perfectly answered by @Simau (see message 31). You cannot define the entire bar length as 0.4m and at the same time define restrains to be spaced each 40 cm for the bar length as it is in reality.

In general you should not change the default values in these fields which was part of the webinar.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report