Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reaction-Seismic analysis-Larger vertical forces without vertical acceleration

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
500 Views, 6 Replies

Reaction-Seismic analysis-Larger vertical forces without vertical acceleration

Hello everybody,

I have modelled a slender, rectangular based steel tower with the height of more than 20 m. I made the modal analysis and it gives 11 modes, which look correct.

After I made a seismic analysis according to IBC 2012. I attached a picture about the resulted reactions for the 4 supports in case of 1*X+1*Y.

My question is how it is possible, that without vertical acceleration(!), how did the vertical forces increase?  Initially, from the self-weight it was 4*~17.8kN=71.20kN, now at this case when the 2 horizontal excitation happened it is 4*~(58.6-58.9)kN=235kN...

Thanks in advance, and I appreciate an early reply if possible.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

In addition I thought it because the moment, but I am not sure about that regarding the results' table.

Message 3 of 7
Rafal.Gaweda

It seems you missed setting of combination sign \ main mode.

See slide 28 and 41 in webinar 7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLY-ggSrSwbZqow_60fiqJwS69mg1nQMzk&v=3G5NwyDSzxs

without signing - look at sum of reactions \ sum of forces in Reactions table

Rafal Gaweda
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Thank you for the answer Rafal!

I did now these steps and I got the results. I did it now with another tower as well, which is triangle based (also a slender tower). But now another question just arised for me. I guess it is a basic static. 

The reaction from self-weight is ~30kN and I git now the attached results.. How the static equilibrium appears? If I have larger vertical forces (because of moments) we still need the balance and I don't see that with such moments.

I can send you the model if you can attach an email address or here.

Thank you very much!

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Dear Rafal, I guess I found the balance that I am looking for. 

However, some explanation would be welcomed according to this phenomena: why did the vertical forces increased ? Why do we need this signed mode calculation?

Message 6 of 7
Rafal.Gaweda

Set  modal case correctly:

pseudom.jpg

or

modal23.jpg

to get

reac23.jpg

Rafal Gaweda
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

That was again really helpful, thank you. I appreciate your time and effort! I got the results, that you have also got.

What I did before, I used the percent of mass participation limit with 90% of the mass. Why this type of calculation gave wrong results? And why we had the problem without the signed modes?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report