Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lateral Torsional Buckling of monosymmetric I-beams per SP 16.13330.2011

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
683 Views, 8 Replies

Lateral Torsional Buckling of monosymmetric I-beams per SP 16.13330.2011

Hi Guys,

I found an issue in Robot with lateral torsional buckling check of monosymmetric I-sections per SP 16.13330.2011. It seems that it incorrectly calculates B and C parameters used in formula Ж.9 - see attached spreadsheet for manual calculation.

Concearning B - When load is applied to top flange in the middle of the span B=Delta-1, however in Robot B=1=Delta which corresponds to load applied to bottom flange.

Top_flange_B.png

When the load is applied to bottom flange the situation is opposite

Bottom_flange_B.png

Concearingn C - I thought the issue might be in calculation of Jt (torsional moment of inertia) which is an old story and was discussed here, but actually even if I take the value which Robot gives and use in manual calculation C is still different from Robot.C_Jt.png

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Sample model attached

Message 3 of 9
Artur.Kosakowski

Hi Andrey,

Thank you for posting this information

The first issue is caused by using the first "line" in the situation when the "second" should be used and vice versa which need to be corrected. 

For the It value - it is incorrectly displayed as 211 cm4 in the note but internally it is calculated as 219 cm4 instead and this later value is used in the bar verification process. 

Artur Kosakowski
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Hi Artur,

Thanks.

Concearning B - understood.

Concearning C - As you can see in pdf file with manual calculation initially I took Jt as 219 cm4 and C=0.91, while robot gives 0.886. Robot does not give values of intermediate coefficients used to calculate C so I can't tell from where this difference arises.

Message 5 of 9
Artur.Kosakowski

Robot follows these rules:

n = J1/(J1 + J2) = 5461.3/(5461.3+1333.3) = 0.8038

alfa = 0.385*It/J2*(Lb/h)*(Lb/h) = 0.385*219.2/1333.3*(6/0.63)*(6/0.63) = 5.7415

N = (1.0-n)*(9.87*n + alfa) = 0.33* (1.0-0.8038)*(9.87*0.8038 + 5.7415) = 2.6834

C = 0.33*N = 0.33*2.6834 = 0.886

As far as I can tell the difference originates from this formula:

nn.jpg

You use hf = 0.67 (distance between axes of flanges) whereas Robot assumes h = 0.63 mm being the total height.

It seems that the code is not precise in this part:

X5.jpg

as in some part of this chapter h is assumed as the total part and in some as the distance between flanges. Could you clarify why you think the distance between flanges should be used for the formula indicated above? Thank you for your help. 

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Yes, Artur, you are right - the code is ambigous on this issue. However, there is a clue which I think is a key for the answer. From the beginning of appenix Ж, in item Ж.2 it is said that h - full height of section for rolled profiles, and distance between axes of flanges for built-up section:Capture.JPG

Next, in Ж.3 it is said again in a) Rolled profiles, h - full height, б) Built-up sections, h - distance between axes of flanges:

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

And finally in Ж.4, which applies to build-up sections only it is again said that h - distance between axes of flanges.

After that there is no indication what h is, except Ж.5, where is is said that h should be defined according to given appendix.

Summing up all above mentioned I would say, that there is a consistent pattern for h - definition: Rolled profiles h - full height, Build-up h - distance between axes of flanges. If we apply this rule we do not violate any of the code's prescriptions.

Message 7 of 9
Artur.Kosakowski

Thank you very much for clarifying this part of the code. I have sent this information to the development team.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

You are welcome!

Message 9 of 9
Artur.Kosakowski

Corrected in SP4 for RSA 2016.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report