Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to model tension only springs with some pre-stress in robot?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
muhammad_hasan88NXQ
444 Views, 7 Replies

How to model tension only springs with some pre-stress in robot?

Hi Guys,

I need your help with modeling of ground anchors which are prestressed with a force of 800kN. Is there any way to model them as tension only springs in robot where there is No movement till the tension of 800kN in the spring after which the springs displaces as per the assigned stiffness.

muhammad_hasan88NXQ_0-1709879788433.png

I have tryed Non linear spring with rigid with linear hardening but it is throwing convergence error.

muhammad_hasan88NXQ_1-1709879890600.png

I am attaching my model for reference. please help.

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Simau
in reply to: muhammad_hasan88NXQ

Hi@muhammad_hasan88NXQ 

To simulate ground anchors add 800 kN as selfweigth load

Furthermore for the NL analysis parameters, check the “Matrix update after each iteration” box

Prestress.jpg

M. Agayr
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
muhammad_hasan88NXQ
in reply to: Simau

Hi Simau,

Thanks for your help, but that is not working. we are expecting reduced displacement at the top of 75mm which we got from another geotech analysis software. and gradualt increase to max of around 95mm as shown in pics.

And also the model is showing convergance error for selfweight. I have tryied providing PT force in Selfweight case and also soil load case both where giving same results.

muhammad_hasan88NXQ_0-1710131076669.png

muhammad_hasan88NXQ_1-1710131132948.png

Can you please help me

Message 4 of 8

I applied the 800kN prestress loads  directly to the 8 nodes , same as @Simau  did on the previous post .

But instead of a nonlinear "equation" support , I just applied an regular elastic with uplift support using the "k" value of that "equation" as the spring value on each of the 2 different Nonlinear supports respectively

Rafacascudo_0-1710183650381.png

And then on the nonlinear parameters  on Analysis options , I set it to apply all the load at once , checked the usual trick to make it converge faster that @Simau  suggested and increased the tolerances a little bit.

0.001 for SLS and prestress cases and 0.0017 for SW

Rafacascudo_1-1710183934492.png

and I got these displacements for prestress load case and SLS combination (max=63mm)

Rafacascudo_2-1710184163838.pngRafacascudo_3-1710184218614.png

Model attached

Rafael Medeiros
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8

Thank you Rafa for your help, but the there is some modeling deference between ground modeling software results and replicating same in robot
Message 6 of 8

More sofisticated modelling with more analysis options , or just the results are different?

Rafael Medeiros

EESignature

Message 7 of 8

As you said since the geotechnical softwares are more sofisticated in modeling soil intraction that robot they are giving beter results. and since they cannot fully get the structural behaviour we are modelling the same in robot to get the structural behaviour. We are trying our best to match the robot results with plaxis (geotechnical model) behaviour.
Message 8 of 8
Simau
in reply to: muhammad_hasan88NXQ

@muhammad_hasan88NXQ 

Is this wall not built by phases?

M. Agayr

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report