Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I know if my structure is failing after applying a temperature load?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
787 Views, 2 Replies

How can I know if my structure is failing after applying a temperature load?

Hello,

I have a simple s275 steel truss bridge that I am applying a temperature load of 1000 degrees Celsius upon all over the entire bridge to simulate a wildfire engulfing a bridge.

I have already set up basic a live load (traffic etc) and dead load (self weight of the bridge) alongside the temperature load and I have reviewed the maximum deformation and maximum stress, but I am unsure if the structure is failing or not as there is no indicator or animation which tells me if there is critical failure,

another point of concern is how would I go about making the structure withstand the heat (without failing) longer, over a given time.

I assume by changing the steel material and making the sections larger would help but is there anything else I can do to make the structure more resistant to fire?

u21sa18_0-1618456158485.png <- The loads

u21sa18_1-1618456207074.png <- Deformation with all three loads enabled (live, dead, temp)

u21sa18_2-1618456281205.png <- Stresses with all three loads enabled (live, dead, temp)

Thank you for the help, I am not well versed with the program so if instructions or explanations could be in layman's terms that would very much appreciated.

Labels (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Krzysztof_Wasik
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous 

I see that you are using BS-EN steel code.

In EN codes Fire analysis is supported while steel design.

You have to

- activate Fire analysis in Steel member type.

- define member parameters for fire analysis (temperature curve , protection type)

member.PNG

- assign those parameters to steel members.

- define load cases for fire verification (usually accidental combinations)

Then after model calculation in Steel design module

- Open Configuration in Calculations Dialog

- Activate Fire verification (select method and code)

fire.PNG

- Run steel verification for selected members and load cases.

Refer to this video and Robot Help

- in configuration activate fire verification

- define fire parameters and if necessary protection type used for sections. 

There are some Robot forum topics which might be helpful as well for instance this one

Krzysztof Wasik
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report