Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does the beam get a Gap on the column connection when being coped by another beam?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Caed9
2793 Views, 4 Replies

Why does the beam get a Gap on the column connection when being coped by another beam?

I have a beam with 0 values in the join cut backs on the beam connection. However, when I want to cope a beam that intersects it, the join cut back option disappears from the properties palette and I get a huge gap between the column and the beam. Is it possible to remove the gap on those situations? 

Also why do the symbolic parallel dashed lines over the beam extends outside from the beam's shape?.. 

Thanks advance for your help

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
catalin_lang
in reply to: Caed9

There are two issues here:

1. When the steel fabrication data is added (when you modify a structural element with any of the Steel tab tool) the beam representation is given by the fabrication shape (see more here: https://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2020/ENU/?guid=GUID-8381A08F-CBCD-4215-AB36-82648C07B8F6)

This "transformation" has some limitations (in the same link there are more information). Most important in your care are:

- Start and End Extensions - are replaced by the Shortening modifier.

- The Start and End Join Cutback geometrical position parameters will be ignored and will no longer be available in the Properties palette.

So, the cut you see is a steel modifier that was created from the Start/End Extension. In your case, before adding the steel fabrication (before creating the  connection), the Start/End Extension was ignored due the join tool, and the cut value was given by the Start/End Cut back.

Workaround - switch on fine detail level, enable all steel connections sub-categories (just to be sure), go with the mouse over the beam end and TAB until the Shortening is displayed (see attached video). Select it and delete it or change its value.

2. Those two parallel dashed lines... that is the hidden lines representing the web of the element. When the steel fabrication data is added and the beam is cut by a steel modifier, those lines are not cut. This is a known issue - the workaround is to shorten the element by dragging the start/end point, as I saw you did in the recording. 

catalin.lang

Message 3 of 5
Caed9
in reply to: catalin_lang

Hi, thanks for the advice. I truly appreacte it. So when I cope the settings totally change, I had to set the prameters like a steel connection. I'm still tryng to figure out the Modify parameters option, there is an option to change in the properties palette and the other one on the Modify tab, I guess one is instance and the other is Type. I noticed there is a checkmark on the override by instance checbox and it is grayed out. 

There are two options to edit the connection, instance in the properties paelette, and Type in Modify paratemeters on the Modify subconnections type

There are to options to edit the connection, instance in the properties paelette, and  Type in Modify paratemeters on the Modify subconnections typeThere are to options to edit the connection, instance in the properties paelette, and Type in Modify paratemeters on the Modify subconnections type

I want to create a type because I really don't want to modify all but certain members of the steel framing, is there a way to set a type so that I don't repeat the process again, It seems quick but its a little repetitive.

I want to create a type because I really don't want to modify all but certain members of the steel framing, is there a way to set a type so that I don't repeat the process again, It seems quick but its a little repetitive.I want to create a type because I really don't want to modify all but certain members of the steel framing, is there a way to set a type so that I don't repeat the process again, It seems quick but its a little repetitive.

Message 4 of 5
Caed9

the override by instance is grayed out. 

Screenshot (57)_LI.jpg

Message 5 of 5
catalin_lang

For steel sub-connection the type capability is not enable.

We can consider it in our development as I understand you need it.

Thank  you for your feedback! It helps us in understanding your needs.

catalin.lang

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators