Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

What side of the steel column should be connected to the primary steel beam?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Caed9
729 Views, 2 Replies

What side of the steel column should be connected to the primary steel beam?

I just want to do the structure of a building I designed to look as close to reality as possible. I have a shorter column span in one direction and a longer  column span going on the other direction. I want to place a primary steel beam on the longer span, and a secondary joist system on the short span. But I don't know which is the most common way to connect the primary beam with the steel column, should it be on the flange or on the web of the steel column? (note that the primary beam will take the load of the floor slab  through the secondary joist system )

On the image below I selected one primary beam ( marked in blue ) and I connected it to the web of the column. Is that how it supposed to be? or could it be connected on either web or flange? which one is more common?primary beam connection.png

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Karol_Piroska
in reply to: Caed9

I would expect your columns to be rotated by 90 degrees so that they are loaded on the major axis, therefore they would connect to the flange, not the web.

Message 3 of 3
Caed9
in reply to: Karol_Piroska

Thank you, by chance are you a Civil Engineer?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators