Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walls and Columns need to adhere to View Range limits

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
dfoth
924 Views, 7 Replies

Walls and Columns need to adhere to View Range limits

Currently if you model a door in the wall, then in a plan view, if you make the wall transparent so that you can see weld plates for the roof beams, you will see the door even though your view range is cut 100 feet above the door.  The same thing is true with concrete columns that have beam pockets.  Its like walls and columns completely ignore the view range controls.  It makes me think that you always see the whole wall and whole column.  This should not be the case!  The walls should cut in plan with the view range settings the same way they do with a section where you use the "far clip offset" to adjust how much of the wall you see.
@Anonymous 

Labels (5)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ennujozlagam
in reply to: dfoth

have you try to use plan region and set the view range setting in that portion and see if helps. thanks

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 3 of 8
dfoth
in reply to: ennujozlagam

@ennujozlagam I must admit I have never used plan regions before so I was hopeful when I looked up the YouTube video of how they work.  But unfortunately the plan region trick did not work.  I just tried it and you can still see the door 109 feet below the view range cut.  Check out the screen shot, I was able to get an elevation marker on the door as proof that its below the view range cut.  Further evidence that this is something Autodesk needs to fix.
Please consider giving the original post a like so that we get the attention of Autodesk and hopefully this can be resolved in future installments of Revit. 

Message 4 of 8
eng.mostafa2414

Hi @dfoth 

I think it's an underlay issue.

check below photo and make sure the underlay is none.

Screenshot 2021-03-23 213424.png

Mostafa Elashmawy
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
dfoth
in reply to: eng.mostafa2414

@eng.mostafa2414 
I just tried your suggestion to no avail.  Its not an underlay issue.  Good suggestion though.

Message 6 of 8
elzohry2007

Exceptions for the display of elements intersected by the cut plane include the following:

Walls shorter than 6 feet (or 2 meters) are not cut, even if they intersect the cut plane.

The 6 feet (or 2 meters) are measured from the top of the bounding box to the bottom of the primary view range. For example, if you create a wall whose top is 6 feet above the bottom clip plane, the wall is cut at the cut plane. When the top of the wall is less than 6 feet, the entire wall shows as projection even where it intersects the cut plane. This behavior always occurs when the Top Constraint property for the wall is specified as Unconnected. If the top constraint property of the wall is specified as Connected, then the cut plane position is always used to define if the wall is cut or projected.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the above reply answers your question; Please mark it with ACCEPT SOLUTION
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hosam Elzohry , ACI , ACP, Autodesk Ambassador Gold
BIM Manager

Message 7 of 8
dfoth
in reply to: elzohry2007

@elzohry2007 

That's good to know and in fact I think I knew this already. The walls that I'm talking about are 200' tall and the top is constrained to a level so your suggestion does not apply in this case. Also I'm specifically talking about when you set the wall as transparent. I set the wall transparent to see embed plates below the floor, I only want to see about 6 feet below the floor plan and Revit shows a door that is 200' feet below the floor plan. So yeah this still has no solution and needs to be addressed by the developers.

Message 8 of 8
RDAOU

@dfoth 

The case you are experiencing is related to the fact that the wall is not cut by the view range cut plane...it is being displayed as a projection because its top extent falls within the view depth; therefore when you are applying transparency, you are seeing all imbedded elements including doors.

In order to generate the view you want you have three options:

• Option 1: Give the Wall a top offset to that the cut plane actually cuts it ... then it will behave/adhere to the Range limits
  • Option 2: Generate the view using the plan view of the level below (where the wall is already cut. (See view Level 3 in the below GIF) Adjust view range to have cut plane either at the top of the beam or beams or to cut through the beam and plate
  • Option 3: Generate the view using a Reflected Ceiling plan of the level below

Cut View Range.gif

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators