Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall Function and Structural / Bearing

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
2373 Views, 4 Replies

Wall Function and Structural / Bearing

I'm working through visibility settings for our walls, trying to integrate them better into the architects drawings. I have a wall that's a foundation wall but not loadbearing, at a step in the slab for example. If I set it to structural, the Bearing property overrides the foundation wall Function property, messing up my filter/VG settings. But by setting it to non-structural, it shows up in the architectural drawings. In another instance, we need to show CMU walls that require a wall footing, but are not load-bearing. Again, same filter/VG/arch visibility situation.

I don't see a way to make a Non-Bearing Structural wall. I typically use worksets, but I was seeing what I could do with wall properties instead. Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
alan.quinn
in reply to: Anonymous

I understand you have a questions on beating and non bearing walls. I'm not aware of any way to have a non-bearing structural wall. I believe the intent of all structural walls (at least in Revit) is there bearing. I think you will have to use an architectural wall and possible layer two views on top of each other with visibility graphics set up so you can see what you need, or have to plan views that call out the all structural and all non structural walls.

Hope this helps and thanks for posting.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: alan.quinn

Thank you for your reply. Yeah, that's the way it appears. The architect wants to link our model with the display settings set to 'by host view', so all of our non-structural walls are showing up. I have load bearing CMU walls and non-bearing CMU partition walls. We are still specifying the reinforcing, calling out lintels and providing a thickened slab under those partition walls, so we need to model and show them. I also need the bearing and non-bearing walls to show up differently on plan. Currently i'm using the same wall type and filtering by structural usage. I could create types, but structural usage is an instance property, thats not the way i've typically worked.

And while i've got you here... Structural usage overrides the wall function property. This is a frustration while working with foundation walls. If I make a foundation wall type structural, I cannot apply a filter to both bearing walls and foundation walls at the same time. Is that by design? I can see the logic, but more flexibility would be nice.

Thank you.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Could you make all of your walls structural; then untick the 'enable analytical model' on the non load bearing ones.

You then then override the vis setting of the non load bearing ones via a filter.

Message 5 of 5
Karol_Piroska

the way I do it is that the walls that are not load bearing, but from structural point of view are structural and need to be shown, and it has to be structural and not coordination view, I assing them as structural shear walls and control them then via filter.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report