Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tag that shows Element ID.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
JerseyEngineer
2921 Views, 9 Replies

Tag that shows Element ID.

Good Morning all.

Is it possible within Revit to Tag an Element with a Tag that shows the Element ID.  I want to label a model that contains many Steel Beams with the Element ID's of the beams. 

Many Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

I'm sure there are some add ins that can extract the Id and create a parameter 

I don't think out of the box Revit can do it.

or even dynamo?

AJ.
Message 3 of 10

Hi  Jersey!

It's not an Element ID (Revit do not have this label option for any tag category), but you may edit a Multi Category Tag to show a Type and/or Ifc GUID  (Global Unique ID).

001.PNG

Message 4 of 10
karibal
in reply to: JerseyEngineer

Dynamo can extract those element IDs if you want to. After that you can insert it as a mark.
Why would you want to tag element IDs?

Message 5 of 10
JerseyEngineer
in reply to: karibal

We have modelled an existing structure from some very poor record drawings.  the model contains hundreds of steel framing elements.  As the records are so poor we don't have all the sizes, so have to visit site and carry out an extensive survey to establish all the sizes.  The engineer doing the survey wanted to tag the elements with The ID so she could create a schedule of steel elements with the element ID in it also, she could then survey the steel and mark its size etc on the schedule.

We will look into the methods suggested and see how we get on, kind of thought from my own research that it wasn't possible, Dynamo might be the way forward or the IFCguid option.

Thanks for your response.

Message 6 of 10
ToanDN

@JerseyEngineer wrote:

We have modelled an existing structure from some very poor record drawings.  the model contains hundreds of steel framing elements.  As the records are so poor we don't have all the sizes, so have to visit site and carry out an extensive survey to establish all the sizes.  The engineer doing the survey wanted to tag the elements with The ID so she could create a schedule of steel elements with the element ID in it also, she could then survey the steel and mark its size etc on the schedule.

I think your and her understanding of the terminology of ElementID are different.  I think she just need an ID to identify elements, and you literally translated it to be Revit's ElementID.   Using Mark is a better choice here.

Message 7 of 10
JerseyEngineer
in reply to: ToanDN

Is it possible to assign the Mark automatically or is it a manual process.  There are hundreds of framing Elements to add the Mark too, it could take a while if we have to do it manually.  Sorry I am still quiet new to Revit.

Regards.

Message 8 of 10
ToanDN

Every element should automatically has its own unique Mark. You can use tag all tool to tag them in one go you will see.
Message 9 of 10

Hi @JerseyEngineer ,

Here is link to free app for element renumbering. This app will create element numbering once you click on each member and will assign that to the selected parameter. may be you have to click hundred times but it is fast and real able. other wise you can use dynamo to automate the process. if you are using dynamo a number of list management is required in order to put the mark in sequential order. or you can create mark based upon the unique id of the element. Since you are new to revit I recommend to use this free app

https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=6951474899027933388&appLang=en&os=Win64

Element numbering.png

Message 10 of 10
Coty.Corriea
in reply to: KotairaKeila

This does not work for me in Revit 2021.1.7.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators