Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symbolic Beam Line Problems.. again..

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1019 Views, 5 Replies

Symbolic Beam Line Problems.. again..

I thought I had structural symbolic beam lines all figured out but for some reason on this drawing the symbolic beam line connection between two cantilievered beams is not centered on the splice even though it is modelled correctly when checked in 3D and can be selected as one long beam line if needed. The symbolic beam line is set to the top of geometery for an OOTB REVIT beam and care was taking to make sure the beams, though slightly sloped, are below the cut plane through the enterity of their run, set top of geometery, etc. The small triangles which control beam cutback do not have any effect on modifying the symbolic beam line to be centered on the splice.

Why is this happening? Are there any other symbolic beam line controls to check?

15-11-03 beam line issue.png

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm having a similar problem with symbolic beam lines. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

This is controlled by the beam/column joins editor which targets mostly steel beam joins.  The idea was to provide a way for the user to control which beam had "priority" in the join and when to actually miter beams instead of cut one back relative to the other.  Unfortunately and perhaps non-intuitively, this also applies to straight beam joins which gives you the behavior you're seeing.

Start the beam/column join editor as shown here to expose the join controls at steel joins and see if you can get the join to clean up the way you wish:

2015-11-03_14-15-44.png

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Even when it seems like symbolic beam lines are finally mastered there is another graphic issue but your suggest did the trick. Not sure why I didn't think to check that but I'm just happy the issue has an easy fix and our structural drawings can continue to use symbolic beam lines. 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

In case you want to muddy the waters further, you can set your families to allow you to control the symbolic line yourself instead of allowing Revit to control it. That way you could constrain it in the family to the location you desire relative to the length of the beam... In Family Parameters the option for Symbolic Representation will let you flip control to the family.

Happy modeling!
Message 6 of 6
christophJYCQU

WHAT DOES FLIPPING TO FAMILY DO AND HOW DO i USE IT. i JUST CHANGED IT TO BY FAMILY AND NOW i SEE NO SYMBOLIC LINE NOR ANY WAY TO CONTROL IT

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators