Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spot Elevation for Metric Generic Object Family

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1718 Views, 4 Replies

Spot Elevation for Metric Generic Object Family

Hi,

I have a couple of Revit families I created from the Metric Generic Template. How do I add a shared parameter to enable me to schedule the spot elevation at the top of the object?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Revit_Whisperer
in reply to: Anonymous

In the family if you go into Family Types and on the right side of that dialog box, select Add under Parameters, select Shared Parameter, Select, Edit and create a new length parameter and name it accordingly.  Ok out of that dialog, in the Shared parameters dialog make sure your parameter is highlighted then OK, make it Instance based and group it where you want it.  

Now in the model you will be able to schedule the elevation, but keep in mind this is strictly user input, it isn't pulling anything from the model intelligently.  

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Revit_Whisperer

Hi,

Many thanks. That is what I'm doing already. But if I make a copy of the model and place it at a different level, it retains the spot elevation of the parent model. With hundreds of similar objects, chasing around the spot elevation for each has become tedious. With Revit's vast capabilities, surely there ought to be a way to automate this. Other system families already possess this property.

Message 4 of 5
Revit_Whisperer
in reply to: Anonymous

Because we are limited with what we can automatically schedule on a generic model family, that leaves us with just the shared parameter which we enter information into...however we can copy information to that parameter from other parameters in the model.  So for example...I placed the object at 2' above level 1 (Offset instance parameter) on one of them and 4 feet on another.  I can use the IMAGINiT Parameter copy tool and copy the information from Offset to my shared parameter Elevation.  Keep in mind that this doesn't automatically update so you will have to repeat the process as items are added or changed.

An alternative is to make the family type something that gives us more elevation scheduling options built in...for example a Structural Foundation Family.  If we use that family type it will give us the bottom height (from the level) and top height (total height from level) as well as what level it's associated to.  If you opt to use the Foundation family I would recommend that you create a different sub category for it so we can control it's visibility since it isn't actually a Foundation object.

I did a quick video of what I described above.

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Revit_Whisperer

Hi,

Thanks very much. That's great. I don't have an equivalent for IMAGINiT, but
it is far better than the approach of typing in the value of each shared
parameter. The foundation family type is a goer and will try it for my next
project.

Regards.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators