Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

section rotation

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
ksekhavati
1550 Views, 13 Replies

section rotation

Dear All

I have a 2 way sloping slab. when I take a section through the slab I get a result as fig. (1), but I want the result to be as fig.(2). If I try to rotate the section on section view, I get an error message saying: Can't change plane of Floor Sketch (is there any way of rotating a section view?).
any help would be appreciated.

PLAN_1.JPGSECTION_1.JPG

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
awes
in reply to: ksekhavati

Floors and slabs have always vertical sides. Rotating section view doesn't help. You need another type of family. Try generic family and model in-place and rotate or a adaptive component.

Message 3 of 14
ksekhavati
in reply to: awes

with generic family I won't be able to use the sub element command as this is a 2 way sloping slab?

Message 4 of 14
Jason.P

If you are just needing it to look a certain way in the section you cut, have you tried the cut profile command under the view tab. I was able to make the end look like you wanted. See picture

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/EN...

view.JPG

Jason Peters
BIM Manager
Autodesk Expert Elite Alumni
Message 5 of 14

You can just Cut The borders with two Voids:

• create a Named Reference Plane to be used as Work Plane for the Extrusion of the Void
  • make two Component> Model in Place>Floor> Extruded Voids and Cut the Floor

Image 1.png

Image 4.png

Image 2.png

Image 3.png

Unlike Cut Profile command , this is a real 3d function.

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 6 of 14

Hi Constantin. Great help as usual. I think I didn't make myself understood properly. I have attached a sketch of what I need. I understood both your solutions, but I like the slab to be as section 1-1 as per attached sketch. by the way, on your solution 1, using the cut profile, is there a command in Revit which does the opposite(i.e. adds a profile rather than cutting it). Many Thanks in advance.

SECTION_2.JPG

Message 7 of 14

Hi Constantin. on your second solution I tried to follow your instruction by creating a ref. plane on the slab plan. when I try to create a void extrusion I am directed to a section view. here I can not pick the end of slab to create a triangular section for my void extrusion. is there any way possible at all for you to show your solution on a video clip please. I'll be most grateful.

Message 8 of 14

Q.

is there a command in Revit which does the opposite(i.e. adds a profile rather than cutting it)

A.

Yes, it is such a function : Floor Slab Edge

Architecture >Floor> Floor Slab Edge

You have to made a custom Profile with Angle as Parameter so to be able to fit the slope..

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 9 of 14
Jason.P

Yes with the cut profile command you can add as well as remove. It is a really handy item for doing hybrid sections. 

Jason Peters
BIM Manager
Autodesk Expert Elite Alumni
Message 10 of 14
awes

Hi, you say you have a 2-way sloping slab.

Can you please tell us the elevation levels in each corner.

Is the top surface one even sloped plan.

Are you trying to model a rotated slab and with a section view show that it is rotated.

I'd like to know the end result you are looking for.

The plan view and section view doesn't correspond.

Message 11 of 14
ksekhavati
in reply to: awes

Thank You for getting back. this is basically a car park slab which will be cast flat and then placed on site on a slope. I

have put spot levels on each corner to make it more clearer.

SECTION_3.JPG

Message 12 of 14

I've made a screencast on the subject of a sloped Floor Slab that is Cut by a Void in order to obtain the desired edge profile....maybe it will help you..

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/20f64325-e974-445e-b679-0ce4714ecad3

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 13 of 14

If you intend to use concrete prefabricated elements then a Faced Base Family could be an appropriate solution.

I made a screencast for another post on the subject, but I think it can be useful also for you:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/0b9f8dd2-70ca-474d-a18b-8d9d4a2d82e7

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 14 of 14

Thanks a lot Constantin for taking time to do the screen casts. I have looked at both screen casts you kindly sent. I prefer your first solution which has helped me a lot.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators