Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebar: Measure dimensions of acute angles to extent of bend radius and not vertex

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
scottjames121
561 Views, 4 Replies

Rebar: Measure dimensions of acute angles to extent of bend radius and not vertex

When a bar has an acute bend, the bending dimension should go from the end of bar to the far end of the bending radius.  When i create a rebar family with an acute bend, the dimensions want to snap to the angle vertex, and not the radius of the bend, which varies based on the rebar diameter.  Is there a work-around for this problem so that my dimensions reflect the image below?

scottjames121_0-1596731806585.png

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi @scottjames121 

The segment lengths are measured as shown in the picture you attached.

The rebar shape family has dimensions to the vertex because those dimensions drive the reference lines that define the rebar shape.

If you measure tangent to the corner fillet, from the beginning of the bar segments, you will notice that the reported values are the same as the parameter values in the bar properties.

Here's a simple example

RebarDimsVsShapeDef.png

Ovidiu Paunescu, M.Sc. Str. Eng.

Sr. Product Owner | Autodesk Revit

Message 3 of 5

Thank you for the clarification.   When I would place a shape driven bar, it would snap to the covers based on the location of the vertex, which led to my confusion.  The rebar dimensions measured out the way you described, so that gives me some relief.  Could this be something that Autodesk looks at addressing in a future update?  It would save us detailers some time.

Thanks,

scottjames121_1-1596807296013.png

scottjames121_2-1596807367300.png

Message 4 of 5

Hi @scottjames121 

I agree that this is a good example where the bar could behave better on placement.

The bar constraints are from the bar segments to parallel concrete faces, so adjustment in this situation is also tricky. 

How frequently, would you say, you encounter this situation in your rebar modeling tasks?

How often do you model shapes with such acute angles?

What other examples have you encountered, where you would need the bar to constrain with a vertex (or fillet) to the concrete?

Ovidiu Paunescu, M.Sc. Str. Eng.

Sr. Product Owner | Autodesk Revit

Message 5 of 5

The most common situation where I've ran into this this is an issue is when a triangular or diamond shaped tie is needed in a column cage where the fillets need to align with the rebar cover. 

Shape_T04.png

Shape_T13.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report