Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Periodically upgrading archived revit models -

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
simmonsEDP9W
220 Views, 5 Replies

Periodically upgrading archived revit models -

i'm having issues with upgrading older (R2015) Revit models. And, i'd like to put into practice a policy of continuously upgrading our older archived Revit models to be able to open them in the current 5 versions of Revit our office is using.

i don't want to jump from R2015 to R2022.  (doesn't seem to be working well).

Are there others out there that continuously upgrade their Archived Revit models to keep them to a manageable upgrade version??  if so, can you layout your procedure?

do you upgrade all your models every couple of years to keep them relatively in a current Revit version?

do you create IFC files at the end of a project to with retrieval several years (even decades) from now?

Thanks

DAvid

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
simmonsEDP9W
in reply to: simmonsEDP9W

i'm doing a renovation on a R2015 project and i'm having to upgrade it to R24.  Which is a large jump.  i see this happening often with older Revit projects.  And, i'm wondering is there a common practice to keep older models upgraded to a more manageable Revit Version.  Any ideas, help, suggestions would be great!  David

Message 3 of 6
Tom_Kunsman

There are people I know that have upgraded projects from 2013 (maybe even earlier) right to the current version of revit with no issues. With that  said, I think it is smart practice to upgrade projects that you might need or reference. Keep the original file as is, then upgrade the copy. I have always heard to do the upgrades in one year increments.
That I will leave up to you, but in theory it should not be a huge jump to go from 15 to 24. Can always get the report from revit of items it had issues with.

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 4 of 6
simmonsEDP9W
in reply to: Tom_Kunsman

Thanks for the reply!

Message 5 of 6
hmunsell

We have had similar issue with files received from clients. Most of the time the files upgrade fine, but on occasion we do get a problems file. The last time we had this issue we contacted our reseller, who contacted Autodesk for us. Autodesk wanted us to send them our file so they cold look at it. unfortunately due to confidentiality issues we could not, but is like to think they would have fixed it for us. 

Depending on your archives, this could be someone's full time job. We just went thru the process of upgrading our 2020 projects to 2024, to help keep up with the licensing changes, it took us months. 

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
Tom_Kunsman
in reply to: hmunsell

I am not sure why you could not send the file to Autodesk for them to fix. It is not like they would steal any content.

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators