Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parametric grating family

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
chriskD6WP2
8233 Views, 11 Replies

Parametric grating family

Does anyone have a parametric grating family they can share? I need to be able to use it for stair treads as well. No, I don't want to get into using surface imagines or the like. I am looking for a family that actually models the bars and welded rods.

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Tom_Kunsman
in reply to: chriskD6WP2

I have seen one or two parametric families that had the bars and rods. Honestly I am not sure I would recommend modeling to this high level of detail. Your model will become very heavy with this much detail going on. But, that is just me.

What do you hope to really accomplish by having this much detail?

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 3 of 12
ToanDN

You can create a 3D detailed family and use is for creating detail drawings but it not advisable to use that level of details to the entire model. Use materials with surface pattern and texture/cutout maps.
Message 4 of 12
chriskD6WP2
in reply to: ToanDN

If using surface patterns and texture mapping is the way to go, then it sounds like I'll need to do some research. That's an area of interest I'm not very familiar with right now. Which, is probably why I thought having a parametric model family would work fine. That, and the fact most of our business is directed toward designing short walkways and small equipment platforms, I didn't think the models would be heavy. Any resources you guys can provide which would point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

As far as high level of detail is concerned. As an employee of a small business, it's very tough competing with large or larger companies for the same project. Everyone now is able to "do the small stuff". So, having a little more emphasis on presentation, without the risk of hindering productivity, is a big advantage for us. Or, at least that's the comments we have had from our clients. They have come to expect a certain level of "detail" from us.

Since it's possibly illegal for me to name drop, let's just say we have a few worldwide corporations we work with locally which specialize in the beverage and cleaning industries. 😉

Message 6 of 12
chriskD6WP2

Thanks! 

I think I'll still look into surface patterns. That sounds like it would open up a lot of options when it comes to textures and material presentation.

Message 7 of 12
ToanDN

ToanDN_0-1596136495239.png

ToanDN_1-1596136607306.png

Message 8 of 12
chriskD6WP2

Grating is not a listed material.

Message 9 of 12
ToanDN

I created it and assigned the surface pattern and the appearance asset to it.

ToanDN_0-1596141530653.png

Message 10 of 12
chriskD6WP2

I did the same, basically, but the surface pattern does not show up in the 3D view. I started with the OOTB Structural template and checked to make sure the Visual Graphics are turned on to show Patterns. Nothing in 3D.

chriskD6WP2_0-1596141837633.png

chriskD6WP2_1-1596141945947.png

Message 11 of 12
ToanDN

Surface pattern of a material is not a detail filled region, although they can share the same model fill pattern.
Message 12 of 12
chriskD6WP2

Found my problem! Thanks, again for the direction.

chriskD6WP2_0-1596142626771.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report