Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues opening/ viewing and importing a Civil 3D drawing into REVIT

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
aolivieriPPG7E
183 Views, 3 Replies

Issues opening/ viewing and importing a Civil 3D drawing into REVIT

Hello,

I have been sent a Civil 3D file which is supposed to contain a TIN surface. When i open the .dwg in AutoCAD Architecture 2020 i only see white line work in box / rectangles as well as a small dot like object. If i click on the dot object it says its "C-TOPO" so i am assuming this is the surface, but CAD will not let me zoom into it.  If i then just try to import in REVIT i get the errors: "Geometry extent is greater than....or "Imported file is out of range.   Has anyone encountered this issue?  How can i go about using this Civil 3D file to import the contour surface as a CAD drawing into REVIT and from there then converting to a TOPO surface in REVIT?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

When Importing into Revit try using a Manual Placement method from the dialogue and place in the middle of the Screen.

Once Placed do a quick Measure to check it has been brought in using the correct Import Units

(It may be worth tuning on the Internal Origin/Project Base Point/survey Point to identify this point - VG > Site)

Jay Colcombe

Autodesk Certified Instructor
Revit Architecture & Structure Certified Professional
AutoCAD Certified Professional
B.Sc. Hons Civil & Structural Engineering

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 3 of 4

Thanks @jay_colcombe i will give that a try when i get it into REVIT.  I think the way the civil consultant set the origin and survey point is what is causing the main issue for me. Until i can get the civil 3d cad file fixed so that i can see it the way i need i dont think i will have any luck getting REVIT to import it properly.

Message 4 of 4

It does not matter how they have set it up, just place it in Revit at the internal Origin and then if needed you can Acquire the Coordinates (this will not move the CAD file) it will just update your Coordinate System in line with the CAD file information.

Jay Colcombe

Autodesk Certified Instructor
Revit Architecture & Structure Certified Professional
AutoCAD Certified Professional
B.Sc. Hons Civil & Structural Engineering

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report