Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSS Column to W-Steel Beam

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
brandon.mullin
2491 Views, 2 Replies

HSS Column to W-Steel Beam

I am fairly new to Revit and am trying to do a Steel Connection between a square HSS Column and a W-Steel Beam. I am using Revit 2020. I want to do a single Plate/Shear Tab, welded to the HSS Column and Bolted to the Web, connection. I have a vertical column and two orientations of that Plate type of  connection, one involves a sloped W-Steel Beam and one is a beam perpendicular to the column. I have tried so many ways to do this with the 'Connections' option under the Steel tab and Revit seems to have very little or no HSS Column to W Beam connections. Both sections are from a Structural Family, the HSS is a Column and the W-Steel is a beam. I feel like I am either missing something really obvious or Revit is missing a very common steel connection type.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hi @brandon.mullin 

Both of these connections can be achieved with the Shear Plate connection which is in the Platform beams category.

For the sloping version I duplicated the type then had to change a few parameters, see screenshots below

Shear Plate Horizontal.JPGSloping cut 1.JPGSloping cut 2.JPG

Rob Merriman, AEC Technical Lead, Graitec
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 3

@Rob_Merriman

👍👍I tested your method today and it worked great! I was so convinced that I would be into creating plates, then adding welds and bolts manually thru the entire building. I wish Autodesk would list this type connection more intuitively as a 'Column - Beam' connection option, from the icon it would appear to be a Beam - Beam use only. I appreciate you taking the time to research it and post and Thank You very much for your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators