Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embed plate visibility

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
ChrisYoung3429
1794 Views, 11 Replies

Embed plate visibility

I have created a steel plate family and placed it embedded into the surface of my precast concrete wall panel.

The plate is on the interior face of the panel, while the elevation view is of the exterior face. Is there a way to have these plates show on the elevation as hidden?

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
A_MAQ
in reply to: ChrisYoung3429

can you upload a screen shot showing what is your case and what do want it to be ?

-----------------------
Autodesk Expert Elite
Message 3 of 12
ChrisYoung3429
in reply to: A_MAQ

Screen shots are attached. I manually drew the hidden line type. The goal is to have the hidden line type associated with the plate, so the lines will move along with the plate should the location change.

Thanks!

BACKSIDE_OF_PANELCapture.JPGFRONTSIDE_OF_PANELCapture.JPG

Message 4 of 12
A_MAQ

did you try this tool?

select you plate and go to linework tool then select hidden line style

hidden lines in elevation view.PNG

-----------------------
Autodesk Expert Elite
Message 5 of 12
ChrisYoung3429

Yes, that is the tool I used to make the 2nd screen shot I posted. While that is a good solution to make it look good, to my knowledge, the lines are independent of the modeled plate. I'm looking for a solution that, I guess, is "part" of the plate - so that when the plate location changes, I do not have to remember to move the lines too.

I have also tried to make projection lines, but without success. I assume what I'm trying to do is possible, after all, when I model rebar into these same panels, they will show in the elevations. I'm trying to accomplish the same thing with these plates.

Ideas?

Thanks again!

Message 6 of 12
A_MAQ

another way is go to plate family then to elevation view in family , draw a symbolic line above the lines of the plate 

and do not forget to select the line of the plate and go to visibility setting and uncheck the front/back , left/right 

visibility settings.PNG

-----------------------
Autodesk Expert Elite
Message 7 of 12
ToanDN

Add a reference plane in the family that would be the same as the exterior face of the precast host, then draw hidden model line on that plane matching the plate size.  Optionally, you can use symbolic lines if you don't need the hidden lines to show when you look at them at angle in project.

Message 8 of 12

First, thank you for your help. I'm definitely learning as I try to follow your suggestions!

Not sure if I did it correctly, but it still isn't appearing as I had hoped.  Here is a screenshot where you can see the model lines on the new reference plane. I ensured the reference plane is on the correct side of the plate, and that the distance from the plate surface is equal to the panel thickness.

Take a look:

Embed Plate.png

Message 9 of 12
A_MAQ

i am uploading a screen cast to show how to do that 

few minutes and will be ready 

-----------------------
Autodesk Expert Elite
Message 10 of 12
A_MAQ

here is the screen cast

-----------------------
Autodesk Expert Elite
Message 11 of 12
ChrisYoung3429

Well...not sure what I am, or am not, doing, but I still can't get it to work. I have figured out an acceptable work around, and will continue to work on this on the side.

Thanks again for everyone's help - I appreciate it!

Message 12 of 12
Paul.Lessa

Thank Hi A_MAQ. 

How to approach to show a hatch when the plate is on far side face of the wall, and not to show the hatch when the plate is near face of the wall?

Thank you,

Paul Lessa

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report