Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different Type Mark for Same Member Size

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
OfficeSSP
498 Views, 5 Replies

Different Type Mark for Same Member Size

Hi, does anyone know a good way of using the same Structural Framing Member size for two different applications (one for a bearer and one for a joist for example) and having different Type Marks for each (B1 for bearer and J1 for joist for example). At the moment, I have to duplicate the Type and give it a slightly different name. 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JL.FCG
in reply to: OfficeSSP

This is where i would use 'Mark' instead of Type Mark. That way you can use the same size Structural Framing member with a different identifying mark. 
You can also use 'Comments' or another parameter that will help define what members you want to show on what sheets. For example, you could have a beam marked '01-B01' but have another beam marked the same, but apply a comment to each beam in different locations (I.E. Core Beam, or Cantilever Beam). Then when we make a Schedule, we can use the parameters to filter down what beams show.

JLFCG_0-1679303621797.png

Message 3 of 6
hmunsell

I would just make a new Type.... 

• select Edit Type
  • pick the Duplicate... option
    • on the upper Right
  • name it appropriately
    • you can even name them based on the type mark if you want.
  • assign the Type Mark.

When you place it you can specify the Structural Usage in the instance properties.

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
ToanDN

Another approach is adding Comments to the type mark label and enter an unique prefix in the Comments field such as J or B, so that you tag will read J_2x8 or B_2x8.

Message 5 of 6
OfficeSSP
in reply to: hmunsell

I have been doing something similar to your solution hmunsell and renaming the member each time it is used in a different situation. It would be great to be able to have a different Mark for the same member type without having to change its name. Perhaps using the Structural Usage field?

Message 6 of 6
jbeasleyGR7UT
in reply to: hmunsell

I tried this option, but it didn't work. If i change the one i duplicated (I.e B.1 to J.1) it changes all of the other B.1's to J.1. Not sure if I'm missing something. I don't want to have to use the Mark or adjust the name of the member. Any other options? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators