Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy Monitor beams

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
Anonymous
7627 Views, 25 Replies

Copy Monitor beams

Hi,

I'm trying to extract the structure out of a complex model (including architectural and MEP elements I don't want).

My idea was to link the complex model to a new file and to copy monitor only the structural elements (so that I can run an structural analysis and modify some elements that will be updated to my complex model).

The fact is that I can't select beams to copy/monitor them.

Is it possible to copy/monitor beams as the other structural elements ?

For infomation - I'm using REVIT 2013 from the Building Design Suite

Thanks in advance for your help

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
Joe.Charpentier
in reply to: Anonymous

Copy/Monitor is not available for beams.

The full list of elements available for Copy/Monitor is in the help file:

Copy Monitor Help 

Joe

Message 3 of 26
Anonymous

Thanks for your answer.

I think it should be available, it would be a plus for structural engineers (on my point of view).

Thanks again for your help.

Cédric LEFEBVRE

Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: Joe.Charpentier

Why is this not available? Strucutral beams are as important as columns for coordination in many instances. Would be great to understand the logic here because from the user standpoint it looks like a hole in the app. Thanks.

Message 5 of 26
esk0r

Two and a half years since the reply, are there any hopes of this feature being included, say, in Revit 2017? 

Rene Pellicer Garcia
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 26
Anonymous

Almost FOUR YEARS! and we can't copy monitor beams. Beams! are a important element for cordination!!! 

Message 7 of 26
esk0r

Surely this can't be classed as a solution. It isn't solving the problem, jsut confirming what we already knew: that you can't copy monitor columns...

Revit 2018 will be out in a couple of months. Will this feature ever be included?

Rene Pellicer Garcia
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 26
Anonymous

Has there come a solution to this yet? I don't see anywhere that Autodesk has done anything about it. I really need to copy monitor the engineers beams into our architecture project so I can monitor changes.

Message 9 of 26
jason.colcombe

If Revit will not allow rebar in linked models it is critical that the copy monitor function includes beams at least then we can closely link the rebar model to the structural model and review changes etc. as we develop the reinforcement

Message 10 of 26
Anonymous

This isn't a solution, it is proof of a problem. In order to coordinate beams across models copy monitor should be available for structural framing. It makes no sense that it isn't and hasn't been made available yet.

Message 11 of 26
jay_colcombe

100% agree, I was trying the make a point and be a little sarcastic in that we can’t even copy monitor beams which should be a given in a coordinated model!!!

Jay Colcombe

Autodesk Certified Instructor
Revit Architecture & Structure Certified Professional
AutoCAD Certified Professional
B.Sc. Hons Civil & Structural Engineering

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 12 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: jay_colcombe

MIND BLOWING

The super amazing program fails so many times- but this has no real explaination.

Its not like the program craches- or ahs a bug (hehe). It simply missed out on something super crucial for designers.

I guess this repeating comment/query on the forum adds to the extreme reluctants of users to keep trying to see if anything has changed.

good luck all 

Maybe John snow has/had the answer (solution)!?

Message 13 of 26
ToanDN

@Anonymous wrote:

MIND BLOWING

Maybe John snow has/had the answer (solution)!?

Jon

Message 14 of 26
jnelsonT5PWX
in reply to: ToanDN

Just writing in 2021 to ask why this feature has not been implemented yet.

Message 15 of 26
Anonymous

Structural engineers control the size/depth of beams, right?  Why would they need to copy/monitor a structural framing element from another consultant's Revit model?

Message 16 of 26
jason.colcombe

Primarily to Monitor positions but there are instances where beams could be copied for accuracy on placement and then designed accordingly and exact sizing relayed back to the client but as a caveat with some disciplines and workflows the structural engineer may not be responsible for the detailing and this would be passed onto a third party for fabrication (Steel & Concrete) so linking in a model is not satisfactory in this instance and Copy/Monitor is the next best solution as a effective way to ensure changes in the structural model are relayed via Collaboration Monitor to detailers.

Message 17 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: jason.colcombe

I'm in experience, specialized instances that require higher levels of accuracy and coordination (for third-party fabrication or detailing), are treated as such.  Meaning, specific enlarged plan/elevation views, 3D axon views, detail views, and section views are created.  These views are used for coordination AND documentation.  See attached images for examples of high level coordination with MEP systems. 

The vast majority of the framing elements in a structural Revit model are located based on typical bay spacing, column locations, and grid locations.  The need for copy/monitoring beams for these cases is nonexistent, in my opinion.

DMS ASC - Perspective.jpgTXST RR HP1 - Perspective.jpg

Message 18 of 26
jason.colcombe

I talk to those who need this functionality for rebar detailing fabrication and erection and their ability to manipulate the information to the most cost effective solution is how they are competitive and secure projects.
Imagine trying to do this in ACAD and subsequent revisions in a 2D format where CONCRETE BEAMS change size regularly and managing this on a very large project!
This request is critical for these individuals and common practice in the U.S. to outsource rebar detailing and fabrication on site to one company and not the S.E as minimum ASreq. are only provided.
I appreciate your standpoint but just because it does not meet your view on how you work doesn’t mean it is wrong and an unnecessary request, your effectively telling everyone who has showed interest in this workflow they are wrong and not working correctly which is very short sighted and unless you get kudos for posting and I find it strange to question the original post from 2013!!!

Message 19 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: jason.colcombe

@jason.colcombe wrote:

I appreciate your standpoint but just because it does not meet your view on how you work doesn’t mean it is wrong and an unnecessary request.

Understood.

Copy/monitoring beams is currently not an option.  It may never be.  I was merely presenting an alternate workflow for addressing some of the issues C/M could resolve.  Good or bad, there are many different ways to reach a solution using Revit.

Message 20 of 26
joshpAZD9W

I have an Architectural model where the architects have gone to great lengths to model columns and beams that I would like to copy/monitor into our structural model for tweaking. I have copied all the columns in with relative ease. I cannot do the same with the beams. I will have to recreate them one by one. Can anyone explain why this is the case? I'm flabbergasted.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report