Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conceptual/massing environment - precision modelling

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
gideon.botesB4GMB
180 Views, 2 Replies

Conceptual/massing environment - precision modelling

Hi Everyone,

Apology for lack of specificity in my request, but I'm somewhat new to Revit modelling.

Can one model with precision in the massing or conceptual environment? I'm having a lot of trouble doing simple things like constraining my geometry to the origin of a massing family file.

Is there a good online source to explain how to do this?

For context, I am using 2021 to attempt to build an electrical outdoor substation. My intent is to create a massing family for the current transformer, then power transformer, disconnector/isolator etc. and then assemble the overall model from these families back in the project environment, but I find this much harder than it needs to be and have to keep reworking what I do.

I'm creating this with limited time for a minimum viable concept to prove to our higher level management that we can employ Revit to model substations for CAD & BIM. Online images show me numerous examples of substations made in Revit, but not one source of someone explaining their methodology.

I'm starting to doubt my approach. Am I thinking about this the right way?

Thanks, and any help would be appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ToanDN
in reply to: gideon.botesB4GMB

It is not a good application for conceptual mass. Model it as a separate project, link it in the main project, and copy it to create multiple instances.

Message 3 of 3
gideon.botesB4GMB
in reply to: ToanDN

Thank you @ToanDN.

While your recommendation did not directly solve my problem, it did lead me back on the right track.

As you said, conceptual mass was not suitable for this use. Linking in files as separate projects also wasn't exactly what I was looking for. What I ended up doing was creating component families for the various pieces of equipment, which I loaded and placed into the project.

It sounds so obvious now that I say it out loud, but this is how much I knew about Revit a week ago.

Thank you for your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators