Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combined Footing

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
3679 Views, 6 Replies

Combined Footing

I would like to know how to model isolated footing with multiple columns in revit structure or if there is a way to model combined footing directly.

Thanks ..

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
RDAOU
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous

You can always model custom footing (either in Family Editor and save it as a family OR Model in-Place) There is nothing much complicated about modeling custom foundations if you stick to the basic template.. There is are two basic templates you can start from

1. Generic Model.rft
  2. Structural Foundation.rft

However; when you model custom foundation; you will need custom reinforcement (probably you have taken that into consideration already)

Alternatively; you can model them as adaptive components...

1. More complicated that the above (which uses basic tools such as extrusions/sweeps/blends...)
  2. Takes twice to 3 times the time to model the same element BUT the catch is that
    • this is a more flexible family in form and usage
    • you may add adaptive reinforcement into the family which adapt to the dimension of the footing/foundation when you place it.

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: RDAOU

Thanks for your reply..,

I tried modeling the combined footing as foundation slab, but from analysis point of view, the revit doesn't model this type of foundation as "Rigid foundation" (the case of isolated footing), This is the main issue for me, what i want to know if it is available to model isolated footing but with more than one column, if this option is available, you may please explain the procedure. The same case also is for strap footing, if there is a standard way to model it in revit. FYI i do not use families, i model every element in place.

Message 4 of 7
RDAOU

@Anonymous

It would be better if you post an image of what would you want to acheive; then I can produce a specific screencast showing you how I would do it.

You can always model things In-Place but I don't believe foundation slab is meant to serve any purpose besides a foundation slab. Model In-Place gives you access to the built-in family editor mode within project environment as well as the family type categories (such as Generic Model, Structural Foundation, Structural Columns)...But still if such elements can be standerized in a parametric family; I would choose to model them and save them to use on multiple projects instead of modeling for every project separately.

In the meantime; see screencast below (done a while ago for another post)...but the point is still valid; same strip modeled in differnt ways.

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Thanks for your reply,

I attached herein my footing sample, the modeling used here is "Model in place" component, as you see the ground beams intersecting with the footing are not trimmed as the case with the isolated footing. this ofcourse will be also reflected in the reinforcement modeling. what iam trying to reach is to define this new footing as isolated footing but with two columns, therefor the revit will deal with it as "Rigid" isolated footing, which will also be reflected in the analysis model.

Message 6 of 7
RDAOU

@Anonymous

It should be fairly easy to model these using a "Generic Model", a "Generic model face based" or "Structural Foundation" template...They don't see to be complicated! If you use generic model make sure to check "can host rebar"  ...It also works using Model In-place if you prefer that (see screencast below)...I personally prefer that I model things in family editor and save as a family to use on other projects.

To join them; they need to be same material ... then you will get rid of that trim which you mentioned.

footing.png

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

It worked.., thanks alot

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report