Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a beam host a railing?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
jasonmccool8686
1654 Views, 6 Replies

Can a beam host a railing?

I've wasted all morning fighting Revit or looking online for solutions to a simple task. I simply need to run a railing along a sloping beam that I'm using as a stair stringer. I've finally gotten a guardrail modeled along the the 2 slopes of the stringers and the flat section at the intermediate landing, but it took manually adjusting the slope and the stair path projection line lengths an inch at a time about 20 times to get it all adjusted to (more or less) line up with the beam stringer. Of course, none of that manual setting will adjust if the stair changes slightly. But is there no way to host a railing to a framing member??? This seems so incredibly basic, especially since Revit has stair and railing "connections" that only work with framing members and not the stair or railing tools. This is crazy that that Revit can't do this simple step.

Labels (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

How do you want it to look?

Message 3 of 7

can you post some screenshot here on what you are trying to achieve for better understanding? thanks

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 4 of 7

Well, I'd like it to look like a railing does any other time: follow the slope of the stringer and go flat where the stair goes flat, and so forth. If I click Railing and pick an OOTB stair, Revit will generate a railing in a second that does that. But it seems that a beam can't be recognized as a stringer, and the Pick New Host option won't recognize any framing members... So what I did accomplish below was all from manual tweaking of the railing path segment lengths and height adjustments - a very time-consuming process. There has to be a better way.

jasonmccool8686_0-1619007037471.png

Message 5 of 7

Hi @jasonmccool8686 

Unfortunately there is no automatic way for it to adapt to the changes in slope you want. There is no other option, you have to do it manually just like you did. Maybe you can make your query an idea and if you have the necessary votes it can possibly be implemented in a next update. Revit Ideas 

Jamhmer Oc

EESignature

Message 6 of 7

Yeah, I guess I'll have to do that. It seems like a straightforward thing to be able to pick a beam as a new host, but apparently not. I was hoping there was just some little trick I was missing, but thanks for confirming the program deficiency.

Message 7 of 7

I'm trying to host a railing to a framing category or a bridge deck and neither are working. Its extremely frustrating the program still can't do simple things like this. After spending a lot time testing different options and looking though the web I did find this option to adjust the slope of a railing. Its not a great work around and will take a lot of time to get it right but at least its an option for now.

Railing without a host - YouTube

Here is a Revit Idea to support also:

Railing on bridges (and generic model) - Autodesk Community

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators