Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2019 Steel connections Missing Bolts

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Josh.Nelson
3115 Views, 13 Replies

2019 Steel connections Missing Bolts

Hi All,

Just testing out the steel tab in Revit 2019, whilst trying to do connections I am able to load the standard types in alright but when I try to Modify Parameters and change bolts there are none that appear under the diameter drop down/ I assume I need to load them from somewhere, has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know of a link to any Metric libraries?

I also cannot modify plate thicknesses through the same modify area, surely you don't need to load in plate families also?

I hope I'm just experiencing some user-error and the program isn't full of bugs, was very excited for these features that look like a breeze to use in the demonstration videos.

Thanks in advance.

Josh

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
ennujozlagam
in reply to: Josh.Nelson

hello, correct me if i 'm wrong, you don't have metric libraries when you install your revit? if yes, you need to install those libraries and templates, you can refer to this LINK. thanks

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 3 of 14
mihai.sandu

Hello Josh,

Do you mean that you don't have bolt diameters in the drop down menus from the steel connections properties dialog?

Bolt dropdown.png

If this is the issue, can you look in C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Revit Steel Connections 2019\en-US, to see if there is AstorBase.mdf database and there is also a .ldf key with the same name, next to it? 

AstorBase.png

The bolts and connections are database driven, they are not family based.

Regards,

Mihai Sandu

Sr. QA Analyst

Message 4 of 14
Josh.Nelson
in reply to: mihai.sandu

Hi Mihai,

Thanks for the reply you are right my dropdown list is blank for bolts and plate thickness properties don't seem to be able to be modified, I have checked that location and I do have the 2x files you have asked about. Wondering how to populate that database? 

Message 5 of 14
Josh.Nelson
in reply to: ennujozlagam

In 2019 when I goto control panel I have no add or remove features option only. Repair or Reinstall or uninstall.

Message 6 of 14
mihai.sandu

Hello Josh,

You don't need to populate the databases, the databases are already populated with standard bolts/anchors/shear studs from different catalogs/standards.

I believe that in your case, Revit is not opening the AstorBase.mdf database. Because it's not opening it, you don't have anything in the drop-down menus.

Lets try the following:

1. Go to C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Revit Steel Connections 2019\en-US
2. Delete all files, except the following 3 files\folders: Family Templates folder, SteelConnections_en-US.zip, SteelConnectionsData.xml. Your folder should look like this:
Folder.png

3. Open Revit, go to Steel tab and load the Steel Connections in the project. This will force a new unzip of the archive that contains all the databases and a new reconnect to databases (new .ldf keys will be created)

Do you have bolt diameters in the bolt drop-down menus?

Regards,

Mihai Sandu

Sr. QA Analyst

Message 7 of 14
Josh.Nelson

I tried this today and didn't work, interestingly if I break the connection to plates and bolts I then get an option and drop down in the properties menu with all the bolts, surely this is not the workflow?
Message 8 of 14
mihai.sandu

Hello Josh,

Connection geometry is changed from inside the Modify Parameters dialog. Bolt Diameters can be found in the same dialog, please see attached movie.

https://autode.sk/2xWDdNp

If the connection is not Broken in the individual parts, then the bolts are controlled from inside the Modify Parameters dialog. If you select the Bolts, in the Canvas (using TAB key), the bolt parameters are grayed out in the Properties menu. This is because they are controlled by the Steel Connection. 

Regards,

Mihai Sandu

Sr. QA Analyst

Message 9 of 14
Josh.Nelson

Yeah so my Revit is not finding the bolts etc unable to change plate thickness within the modify function, for some reason I can Only see once broken.
Message 10 of 14
mihai.sandu

Hi Josh,

Once the steel connection is broken, the Modify Parameters dialog can no longer be accessed, the button disappears. 
The connection is broken in the individual elements and you are able to change the parameters from the Revit Properties menu.

Let's take this from the start:

1. Create a column and a beam

2. Add the connections to the project and create a "Knee of frame bolted, with haunch" between the Column and the Beam.

3. Select the Steel Connection and Open the Modify Parameters dialog. Go to the "Bolts & Welds \ Bolts" tab, inside the connection dialog. Open the "1. Bolts diameter" drop-down menu. Is the menu populated with values?

Bolt diameter drop down.png

Please send me a picture of the dialog menu with the drop-down menu opened, so I can understand were the problem comes from.

Regards,

Mihai Sandu

Sr. QA Analyst

Message 11 of 14
Josh.Nelson

No when I follow your process there is nothing from the drop down. Once I'm. In the office tomorrow I will post a screen shot.
Message 12 of 14
Josh.Nelson

Hi Mihai,

I have attached 3 screenshots the first two named bolt issue 1 is where the drop downs appear empty. I created the connection exactly as the video you linked.

The third one named "broken" Is showing you once I break the joint that the bolt diameters are all in my program so the database is in tact.

Regards.

Josh

Message 13 of 14
mihai.sandu

Hi Josh,

I showed the issue to some of my colleagues that work in development and their first thought is that something didn't registered correctly in the install process.

Can you please try to Repair or Reinstall Revit 2019 to see if this fixes the issue.

Regards,

Mihai Sandu

Sr. QA Analyst

Message 14 of 14
Josh.Nelson

I have tried repairing but it is now clear this is not an isolated issue some of my colleagues are now also having this issue when initially there was no issue. Possibly caused by an update, the ticket has been opened with an autodesk rep now so thanks everyone for their time. 

Josh

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators