Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working Drawings

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
910 Views, 12 Replies

Working Drawings

Hi,

If I place a Revit generic electrical socket on all a wall, and I change the detail level to fine, the socket changes to a single line type image of the socket. This image is ideal for when I print off drawings, as it looks like a electrical symbol normally seen on a electrical drawings. (ideal for electricians to read on a building site). 

The problem I have now, is when I install and  use a manufactures electrical socket, and when I change the detail level to fine it does not change. This is a problem for when I print off working drawings as you cannot see the normal electrical symbol.

Is there a way to change this??

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello! 

Sadly there is no easy way to change it.

What shows in "Fine" detail level or whats shows on other detail levels, is not a Revit setting, it is how the family was built. 
If a manufacturer has set their families up the way, so when detail level changes, you get different results, then it's good, otherwise, you have to ask them to do so, or modify the family manually.

Message 3 of 13
ToanDN

@Anonymous

Edit the family, select the symbol you want to show on fine, click on Visibility button and tick Fine box.
Message 4 of 13
GungorOzay

Hi,

As ToanDN Said, you have to change 2D symbol Detail level. You can check below picture. This is my electrical socket, for example 2D symbol showing only "medium" and "coarse" detail level. But 3D object show only in "Fine" detail level.

family.PNG

Güngör ÖZAY
MEP BIM MANAGER
Youtube | LinkedIn

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

Hi Guys,

Thank you all for responding. I have  onemore question please, apologies but I am new to Revit. The reason I use the manufactures products is for when I export my work to the NAVIS model, you can see exactly what the electricians put on the wall, while also clicking on it you can see the manufactures product code. So I am just wondering, if I change the family will this effect what it looks like in the NAVIS model?

Message 6 of 13
GungorOzay

If you change just your detail level (For 2D & 3D) its not effect your any parameter. Of course if you change (Hide) 3D detail in all view (means in 3D View), You can not show also in navis.

Güngör ÖZAY
MEP BIM MANAGER
Youtube | LinkedIn

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

Hi Guys,

Thanks for that Gungor.Ozay. 

Please see attached word document, showing my socket. 

How do I change it from 3D to 2D without effecting how it looks in NAVIS please.

Message 8 of 13
ToanDN

You can turn off the 3D for all view direction and they still show in 3D, thus doesn't affect how they appear in Navisworks, which is a 3d environment entirely.

Capture.PNG

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

Thanks ToanDN,

When I turned off the 3D elements and loaded  it back into the project, the sockets were no longer visible. In family editor how do I get it to look like the 2D symbol for a socket that Gungor.Ozay sent earlier? The 3D image stays a 3D image in edit family even after i switch off all you suggested. 

Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

Hi all,

Please see attached socket that I am having trouble with. Additional help here would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Message 11 of 13
ToanDN

There is no annotation symbol in the family.  I added one from the OOTB receptacle so it should work.  If you need a different symbol or additional symbol for the switches then you can open n OOTB switch, copy the symbol and paste to your family.

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

Hi ToanDN,

Thank you for that. I am not familiar with the term OOTB, I have heard about nesting symbols to families, where you build the symbols and 'nest' it to a particular family. Is there somewhere to download electrical symbols that can be used to to nest to other families.  

Message 13 of 13
ToanDN

OOTB is out of the box, meaning the content provided by Autodesk after yoi install the program.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators