Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does this drain breaks system?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
blank...
184 Views, 6 Replies

Why does this drain breaks system?

I created this drain family, but it breaks systems where it's placed. Tried changing category to plumbing fixtures, accessories, fittings... Didn't help.

File attached.

Sif.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
blank...
in reply to: blank...

Bump?

Message 3 of 7
iainsavage

What you have done is tried is to make a composite family which combines the function of a plumbing fixture (drain grating) with a pipe fitting or accessory (chamber) which receives flow from that drain and also has through connections from the pipe system.

I think you need to split this into separate families. One for the plumbing fixture (drain) which would have one connection (Sanitary*; Out; Preset or Fixture Unit) and one for a pipe fitting or accessory (chamber) which has three connectors, probably set to Fitting or Global; Bidirectional; Calculated).

I think that should work but you'll need to try it and test it.

You might also find families from manufacturers etc which work and you could examine how they are set up.

* You might need to set the drain connector to Domestic Cold Water depending on which calculations you want to perform on the system. See part 9 of this post.

Message 4 of 7
iainsavage

Message 5 of 7
blank...
in reply to: iainsavage

I'm doing no calculation in Revit for sanitary plumbing. Basically I need it to just pass what ever is going through it without doing anything. Similar to reducing elements.

I can set connectors system classifications to "fitting" and that does solve the issue of it braking the system (same as in reducers and some drains I downloaded from bimobject), but then I have no "in" and "out" which complicates placing it quite a lot (have to add sections, be careful how you place it...).

Message 6 of 7
iainsavage

So if you are not bothered about passing the flow or fixture unit values through the system and don't need to generate a flow or fixture unit value into the floor drain then I think you could just set it up as a pipe accessory with the two pipe connectors (Global, Bidirectional, Calculated) and make it a part type of "valve - breaks into". You can then drop it onto a pipe and it should insert into the pipe where you place it.

Message 7 of 7
blank...
in reply to: iainsavage

@iainsavage wrote:

set it up as a pipe accessory with the two pipe connectors (Global, Bidirectional, Calculated)

That was it!

Solved, thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report