Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Void Extrusion penetration issues

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
574 Views, 6 Replies

Void Extrusion penetration issues

Hi all,

I have come to encounter a problem when loading the void extrusion into a family. Firstly, i created a face-based void extrusion as a family for the holes. Then, i have tried to nest the void extrusion family into second family for the wall. For the second family, the wall has a double layer. The first top layer consist of shape similar to pyramid which i created using blend and the bottom layer was created using extrusion. Ofcourse, both layer was joined as a geometry before i load the void extrusion family.

Apparently, the void extrusion was unable to penetrate through the wall. The penetration stops at top layer as shown in the photo below.

sample1.PNGsample2.PNG

Did anyone encounter this similar problem before? Somebody please helpSmiley Mad

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
L.Maas
in reply to: Anonymous

This is the expected behavior. The face based void penetrates the object to which the face belongs.

You would have to repeat the process of placing the face based voids on the second object. You also could create the voids in the hosted family itself (instead of using a nested void family) then you could use a single void to cut multiple objects.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 7
ToanDN

You need to create a void in the plate family, do not use it to cut the plate, array it in the same manner you did the anchor, set the family to Cut with void when loaded, and once you place the plate on the wall, Use Cut geometry to cut the wall with the arrayed voids.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: L.Maas

Hi @L.Maas ,

I follow exactly the steps you told here. It seems one of the holes here did not penetrate, which is quite weird to me. 

Does the method that you have suggested here works on parametric array void extrusion? Let say if i want to control the number of void extrusion on the wall etc. Basically, I am trying to perform two-axis void extrusion on the wall here, so i must need a nested family

Capture.PNG

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

Hi @ToanDN ,

I dont find any plate family from my standard family library, I am using Revit 2019 version. Is this plate family that you mentioned a custom family template?

Message 6 of 7
ToanDN

The plate family I mentioned is your family.
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

Hi @ToanDN ,

I have tried your method, the arrayed voids could not be cut(cannot be selected) once i load my void family into the wall family. Capture1.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

State of Sustainability Webinar

Autodesk Design & Make Report