Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visibility of filled region nested in lighting fixture family on a pitched roof

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
tbagul1
640 Views, 8 Replies

Visibility of filled region nested in lighting fixture family on a pitched roof

Hello,

I am working on a project where the emergency light fixtures have a gray hatch in it. I have edited a manufacturer's family and nested a solid grey filled region detail item family into it for the emergency light fixture. The light fixture family is face mounted and I need to mount it directly on bottom side of a roof which has a pitch to it.

I understand that the Symbolic Elements Visibility of a detail item family notes that it will be visible only when the family is placed parallel to the creation view.

I want to ask if there is any other way for the hatch region to show up if the light fixtures are mounted at a pitch to the creation view?

Any help is appreciated!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
iainsavage
in reply to: tbagul1

Edit family, tick the "Maintain Annotation Orientation" box

iainsavage_0-1687425271049.png

Message 3 of 9
tbagul1

@iainsavage - This should technically work but for some reason it did not for me. Attached is the family with that option checked.

Not sure what is going wrong. Any idea?

Message 4 of 9
iainsavage

I'm by no means an expert on this, I was relying on the help topics for info.

I found this post and it looks like you maybe need to use a nested generic annotation rather than a region in the family.

@HVAC-Novice could maybe clarify.

Message 5 of 9
mikewp90

In my experience, if ever you mount something on an angle the symbol will not show up since it is 2D element. The only way we have been able to get around this is by not using face hosted elements. Rather we use level hosted elements. The symbol will therefore alway be able to be perpendicular to the view and the nested model element has the ability to rotate/spin about its origin point. Provided you build your family with that ability in mind. Face hosted families do have their benefits and ease of use but if the drawing symbol fails to look appropriate you choose work arounds that allow you to do what you need them to do. In my case we rotate the model portion of the family only after placed rather than the entire family, thus allowing the annotation to remain visible in the view.

Message 6 of 9
iainsavage
in reply to: mikewp90

Since 2022 the "Maintain Annotation Orientation" parameter was added to address the issue of face hosted elements on slopes, but it seems that it maybe only works with certain types of annotation objects and filled regions aren't included? @tbagul1 did you try making a generic annotation family containing the region - I tried it and it seems to work:-

iainsavage_0-1687539304733.png

Message 7 of 9
ToanDN

Does the filled region mean to present a graphic symbol or the actual shape of the fixture?

Never mind, I see the family.  Since the filled region is the actual size of the fixture, why don't you show the actual 3d element and use a material with solid grey surface pattern for the box?

Message 8 of 9
ToanDN
in reply to: iainsavage

@iainsavage wrote:

Edit family, tick the "Maintain Annotation Orientation" box

That is for Annotations, not Detail Items.

Message 9 of 9
tbagul1

Closing this topic for now. I have used the solution provided by @ToanDN. I unchecked the visibility of all of the elements (except the family extrusion) of the family in Detail Level: Medium and changed the color of the family extrusion to the filled regions color and it works now.

Not sure it this is the correct way to do it but it solved my issue.

Thanks all for the help! @ToanDN @iainsavage @mikewp90 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report