Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Round Duct 90° Fitting Creation

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
dsonneborn
2095 Views, 15 Replies

Round Duct 90° Fitting Creation

What are some good resources for learning how to create round duct families? Specifically boiler flue piping.

Attached is a screenshot of what I am going off of to build the family. It seems pretty bare as far as dimensions/information goes but this is what we have at the moment... 

I've looked up some videos but everything either seems to be square duct or piping or just crazy difficult.

In lieu of creating the family, how else have you all gotten by in this situation?

IMG_1584.jpg

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
RobDraw
in reply to: dsonneborn

A 90 degree fitting is an elbow. I only see data for 30 and 45 degree elbows in your image.

Are talking about the hand sketch of a funky offset?

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 3 of 16
dsonneborn

Sorry, I didn't highlight the fitting we are attempting to build but it is the bottom right of the left hand side table with my notes drawn on top of it. I believe that is an elbow/90° fitting, no?

Message 4 of 16
RobDraw

That sketch is not clear to me if you are calling it a 90 degree. elbow. 

Rob

Message 5 of 16
dsonneborn
in reply to: RobDraw

Here is a better drawing of the fitting I am trying to make. Throat will be a different size but that is a minor detail at this point. Hoping to figure out how I even start building something like this?

Welded-Gored-Elbows-Angles-LineArt.jpg

Message 6 of 16
RobDraw

That's called a gored elbow. I'm pretty sure Revit has a family for flat round (oval) duct that you could reverse engineer for round if there isn't one already. I think that flat round one could be made to "look" round with equal dimensions but I could be wrong. 

If neither of those are to your liking, I'm sure you can find one already built. Let us know if your search is fruitless.

Rob

Message 7 of 16
iainsavage

Message 8 of 16
RobDraw
in reply to: iainsavage

Gored sounds better if you consider that Halloween is just around the corner. 

Rob

Message 9 of 16
ToanDN

ToanDN_0-1634079035175.png

Message 10 of 16
iainsavage
in reply to: ToanDN

Round segmented slip-joint bend from Revit UK metric duct library and there's a flanged version as well.

Probably just a metricated version of the US Imperial version.

iainsavage_1-1634080878182.png

Message 11 of 16
dsonneborn
in reply to: iainsavage

Thank you, this helped get us on the right track. We had to piece it together in a way but were able to make it work...

Below is a screenshot of what we ended up with as the final fitting. One last question though... How do I change the system classification from defaulting to "Supply Air"?

Gored Elbow 12 inch.jpg

Message 12 of 16
RobDraw

Why are you using that type of elbow at such a small size? There just isn't enough room to get any benefit from it.

Rob

Message 13 of 16
dsonneborn
in reply to: RobDraw

Not sure what you mean by this? We are using it to route our exhaust duct and this is the size of the fitting we will use in the field. The benefit to us is having the dimensions accurately modeled in Revit?

Message 14 of 16
RobDraw

Why not use a round elbow?

Rob

Message 15 of 16
iainsavage

How do I change the system classification from defaulting to "Supply Air"?”

Select the connectors and change their classification. Usually for duct or pipe fittings you would just use the “Fitting” classification and the fitting will then adopt the system characteristics which its joined to in the project.

@RobDraw , stainless steel and aluminium flue elbows (in Europe anyway) tend to be made segmented (gored) in all sizes. Its just the way manufacturers make them. E.g.

276C223F-5566-4874-85B7-E0620E66B6AF.png

Message 16 of 16
RobDraw

I keep forgetting that it's flue exhaust and not an air system. Sorry... but thanks for reminding me. 

Rob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators