Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof top unit ductwork

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
maritza482LW
387 Views, 10 Replies

Roof top unit ductwork

I am trying to to pull duct from the Trane RTU unit model that I am using for a project, every time I pull from the Supply/Return and I put the dimensions I want the ductwork to be, I am getting error messages that I can't have rectangular ductwork coming straight from the model. 

maritza482LW_0-1663683985436.png

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
hmunsell
in reply to: maritza482LW

looks like the connectors were placed incorrectly in the family.  was this downloaded from the vender or was it custom made?

Can you upload the family for us to look at?

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
maritza482LW
in reply to: hmunsell

BIM and Selection Tools (trane.com)

I downloaded it straight from the Trane website. 

Message 4 of 11
hmunsell

We seldom use downloaded content due to all the issues we have had with them. But in this case, the connectors seem to be correct. I didn't have any issues hooking up duct to it.

How are you connecting to the unit? If you select the connector in an elevation, right click and pick Draw Duct, will it place the duct? 

hmunsell_0-1663691294861.png

Howard Munsell
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
maritza482LW

I was clicking on the Supply(out)/Return(In) on the model and it was giving me that error message. I'm note sure if it was because of the size of the ducts or what it was but it worked! Thank you!

Message 6 of 11
RobDraw

@hmunsell wrote:

We seldom use downloaded content due to all the issues we have had with them.

That sucks. Most of the content from manufacturers that I see is usually usable and if there is a problem, it's usually something easy to fix. I also stay away from sites like Revit City that have user generated families of vastly different qualities.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 7 of 11
hmunsell
in reply to: RobDraw

@RobDraw...  We have run into all sorts of issues in the past, from name brand places and small places, with imbedded information, custom/shared parameters that wont schedule, generally poorly made content, etc... A big issue we have had is excessive detail built into the families. A lot of them were made in another program and then imported into the family.  We do mostly LOD300 which specifies, if I remember correct, "representative" not detailed. I have seen lock washers modeled for every bolt in a piece of equipment, equipment inside a closed cabinet that will never be seen, Valves and Accessories with there internal content molded.  I actually had a Data cabinet we downloaded that had a Key MODELED IN THE LOCK (accurately).  Furniture in particular is often over molded and kills our processing and Lighting Calcs.  A lot of venders are more concerned about making there content look pretty instead of efficient. 

Sorry... got on a bit of a soap box there..... 😁

Howard Munsell

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
RobDraw

I'm sorry but not fitting individual needs does not categorize families as unusable to the point that you recommend not using them. Just as a matter of perspective, those families are useful but not for everyone. I do 400 and 500 LOD and am usually pretty happy when I can use manufacturers families. Even when I was LOD 300 doing HVAC, manufacturers were our first stop for families. 

So, just because they don't work for you, you need to realize that they are good families. Maybe you can't deal with them but many can and do. Why bother making them if they are useless?

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 9 of 11
hmunsell
in reply to: RobDraw

I will concede that they are usually functional and will often be useable, as was this case. I didn't say Don't use it, just that we don't in my office, when ever we can help it. We're fortunate enough at my office to have staff that can create clean efficient content on demand. 

Howard Munsell

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
ToanDN

I have found content from name brands are usually well created and useful.  What give me chuckles the most are those from 'boutique' vendors.

Toan Nguyen

EESignature

Message 11 of 11
hmunsell
in reply to: ToanDN

The topic of custom vs venter content could be its own string. Lots of opinions on the matter 😊. I think its safe to say none are Right or Wrong, its what ever works best for Your/Your Organizations workflow.

Howard Munsell

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators