Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Family mounting height, offset from casework

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
dans557JT
3265 Views, 9 Replies

Revit Family mounting height, offset from casework

Hello everyone,

I am making some Revit families and the family in question has various mounting heights. I know how to edit the family in order to adjust the mounting height. However, one mounting height instance is posing some issues. 

The family is a data outlet receptacle and it is to be mounted per the attached image (1" above highest backslash or counter top).

Is there a way to have the family automatically offset 1" above any casework that I happen to run into in my model? If not, does anyone have a better solution than just "eye balling it" while in 3D?

I hope that makes sense, I have a attached a screen shot of what I am trying to accomplish and I highlighted the specific mounting height in question.

Thank you

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Revit_Whisperer
in reply to: dans557JT

If you are using the out of the box data outlet, and place it in plan view, you can adjust the elevation...but keep in mind that goes to the center....if  you want it to go to the bottom then edit the family and set the bottom reference plane in elevation to Define Origin.

Message 3 of 10
dans557JT
in reply to: Revit_Whisperer

I am aware of that method. However, I was really hoping to plop it into the plan view and have it maintain that 1" offset from the counter top without needing to tweek it in the elevation view.

Message 4 of 10
Revit_Whisperer

I don't see an easy way to do that...the least painful was just to adjust the elevation of the family in properties.

Message 5 of 10
dans557JT
in reply to: Revit_Whisperer

I am starting to think the same thing. There does not appear to be a way to ensure that the offset placement height is maintained.

Message 6 of 10
ToanDN

Is your family wall based, face based, or work plane based?

Message 7 of 10
dans557JT
in reply to: ToanDN

I created a face based and wall based family for this very reason. But I have only tried to make this work on the wall based family...

Message 8 of 10
ToanDN

I have uploaded a screencast to demonstrate how to do that with a wall based family.

Basically, you can create different types and set an unique Placement Height value for each type.  When you place an instance in plan view, it will use the Placement Height value of its type automatically.  When you place it on an elevation, you will see a blue horizontal line when you hover the element near where it is supposed to be placed that you can snap onto.

Capture.PNG

Message 9 of 10
dans557JT
in reply to: ToanDN

Very cool! Will this maintain the 1" offset reference line for different height counter tops? Or will I need to adjust that placement height value each time?

Also, I noticed while you were typing in the formula that you did it twice, should I just plug my numbers into the second one you did?

If so than I think you have my solution!

Thank you so much!

Message 10 of 10
ToanDN

@dans557JT wrote:

Very cool! Will this maintain the 1" offset reference line for different height counter tops? Or will I need to adjust that placement height value each time?

No. The value is a type parameter so one type only works for one height.  I only use this method for typical conditions, one for 16" above floor and one for 2" above back splash.  For non typical conditions, I change the elements elevation manually. 

Also, I noticed while you were typing in the formula that you did it twice, should I just plug my numbers into the second one you did?

You can type in the value directly.  I was just lazy too calculate so I let Revit do it via the formula.

If so than I think you have my solution!

Thank you so much!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators