Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to include properties of "Circuit" object in "Electrical Fixture" schedule?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
devin.bresser
210 Views, 3 Replies

Possible to include properties of "Circuit" object in "Electrical Fixture" schedule?

Hello,

We do most of our electrical engineering in Revit, and we use an Electrical Fixture schedule to list our various equipment connections, which are Electrical Fixture families. We have been doing all of our wire sizing manually using a text property in the Fixture objects, which works well enough but is cumbersome for large projects.

I recently learned that when you circuit an Electrical Fixture, Revit automatically sizes the wire from you. Unfortunately, this information is stored as a property of the Electrical Circuit object, and not included in the Electrical Fixture object. This means that, according to my current understanding, it is not possible to use the Wire Size parameter in the Electrical Fixture schedule.

One solution that I know of involves nested schedules. I tried this and unfortunately it added duplicate lines for everything which is not suitable for our deliverables.

If anyone knows if it is possible to seamlessly add the Circuit information to an Electrical Fixture schedule, please let me know!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
tim.ingle
in reply to: devin.bresser

Hi @devin.bresser, I do not believe it is possible to have an Electrical Circuit schedule with an embedded Electrical Fixture schedule to appear as one line item per circuit instance. You could create a Text Shared Parameter for Electrical Fixtures, and then using Dynamo (or manually comparing Electrical Circuit Wire Size values) transfer the information from the Electrical Circuit Wire Size parameter to your custom Electrical Fixture Wire Size Text parameter. I've included a couple links to the Dynamo Forum that reference similar tasks within Dynamo.

Also, if you haven't already, I would take a look through the information provided by Autodesk about Revit Wire Sizing. Currently we use Revit to size all of our Electrical Equipment feeders, but before we got there, the Electrical Settings > Wiring & Wire Sizes values had to be combed through to ensure of the accuracy of the information. The link below is a great starting point for your investigations.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2020/ENU/Revit-M...

https://forum.dynamobim.com/t/copy-electrical-parameter-to-electrical-fixtures-parameter/6026/4

https://forum.dynamobim.com/t/way-to-get-all-elements-that-are-part-of-the-same-circuit/5962/8

Message 3 of 4
hmunsell

one of my electrical engineers uses Dynamo to do this combined with shared parameters. there is an addon for dynamo called MEPover that has a lot of custom nodes in it for extracting that kind of information.  i think the node was called "GetElectricalSystems"... 

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 4
balddude

Look at Design Master. It will do this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators