Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipes connection, fittings change colour?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
4990 Views, 6 Replies

Pipes connection, fittings change colour?

Hi, I'd like to change the colour of this pipe connection between two perpendicular pipes as in the image..but in general i'd like to know how to change the colour of pipes connection, fittings etc?

thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
kadmonkee
in reply to: Anonymous

I define all my Pipe systems and set graphic overrides.

in the project Browser go to Pipe Systems Right click select System Properties in the window select Graphic Overrides button and assign the parameters you want.

another method is to create a filter and assign the filter to that view that will change the color of your Pipes and Pipe Fittings etc. be sure when creating the filter to check all the categories that apply to Pipes

apply Materials to your systems will do a similar thing.

Pipe Filters.PNGPipe System Graphic Overrides.PNGPipe Systems.PNG

If there is any information shared that is of value please give Kudos
If a solution is provided by any posters please mark them as Solved to benefit everyone else.
thank you
Message 3 of 7
J.Wehmer
in reply to: Anonymous

That is the 'Material' setting within the Pipe Fitting family. when in the Realistic view like this, it relies on the Material associations. Usually MEP elements just left OOTB, but they do look great when the proper material is applied to them.

Open the Fitting Family, Go to manage, Transfer Project Standards and bring in the same material that the pipes are in the template

transfer materials.pngSelect the model elements and assign the material

assign material.png

Go into your project and check the Mechanical Settings (MS hotkey) and make sure that the material you assigned matches the one on the pipe type

pipe material settings.png

Finished fitting is same material as family
material completed.PNG

-Please click accept as solution if this answers your question!
Message 4 of 7
kadmonkee
in reply to: J.Wehmer

@J.Wehmer I would avoid assigning by selection/ Family, and assign the materials to the Pipe Systems themselves,

it will produce a more consistent output later on in the design process.

you can create your Standard Material library to include into your template so all Pipe systems have an assigned material (color)

by assigning it to the family it locks down the option to have other systems use different colors for that family

If a solution is provided by any posters please mark them as Solved to benefit everyone else.
thank you
Message 5 of 7
J.Wehmer
in reply to: kadmonkee

@kadmonkee wrote:

@J.Wehmer I would avoid assigning by selection/ Family, and assign the materials to the Pipe Systems themselves,

That was my first attempt/thought at using filter color/system scheme coloring & material coloring. Doing that method of applying the material in the system properties of the piping systems, messed with the ability to do the filter coloring in certain views.

With the materials applied inside the families rather than the piping system properties, this allows us to display the system color (example cold water, blue) on Hidden Line, Consistent Colors, and Shaded. While using the Realistic to only display pipe material. 

It was a lot of trial and error, but the setup we have now is solid...no matter what our engineers have thrown at it.pipe model display settings.png

I prefer to control the materials at a family level, this does make the families slightly larger in file size, but not a noticeable amount even on large projects. 

To answer the OP, the image he submitted showed his pipes at a Realistic style-view, that is why my response was to show material control. @Anonymous As you see from the images above if you want to control the color with filters as @kadmonkee demonstrated (which is the most effective System based-coloring method) You need to have your Visual Style Graphics set to anything except Realistic view style. Realistic will override all Filters with the Material properties. 

-Please click accept as solution if this answers your question!
Message 6 of 7
kadmonkee

@J.Wehmer good point.

I typically set this in motion as we do not publish construction documents using display styles above hidden line,

Fine /Medium.

all too often this will increase model performance and scheduling issues (we all Like to look at colorful 3d pictures)

I have Line styles for details, which align with the Pipe System designations , tags and Materials, this works regardless of level of detail and visual style.

now we have only used the PIPE TYPE STANDARD with this approach so all the fittings are also aligning correctly.

this would also work if you are assigning Pipe Types with your Pipe Systems

Pipe 3d Colors.PNGPipe system colors.PNG

thank you
Message 7 of 7
jpKETCG

Perfect, the procedure is easy and works, thank you 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators