Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Top Offset Tag

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1880 Views, 9 Replies

Pipe Top Offset Tag

Trying to get a tag for Fire Sprinkler Systems pipework that will provide a (mm) distance from centre of pipe to underside face of element above. Basically a height to the centre of pipe below the soffit above. Always working in RCP view.

I've searched online and had no luck....

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
robert.klempau
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello,

Unfortunately, there is no standard Tag family that will give you that distance.

There is the Spot Elevation Tag that gives you the top elevation of the Pipe at any given position on that Pipe. I presume that you want to use a similar function but then that it automatically calculates the distance between the spot elevation and the soffit above. for instance the bottom elevation of the floor above.

What you could do is place this question also at the Revit Dynamo forum website. https://forum.dynamobim.com/

I think they can help you solving this.

In Dynamo there is a possibility to calculate the distance of a line (top elevation of a Pipe) and a surface (bottom of a Floor).

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Kind regards,
Robert Klempau
Senior Consultant AEC
Cadac Group AEC BV

Message 3 of 10
robert.klempau

Hello,

I added a small project to your case.

This will solve your problem but it is an manual process.

In this project you see a Floor and a sloped Pipe.

I made a simple arrow family with a distance parameter and a multi Category TAG family that can show that distance.

So you can place the arrow family on the top of the Pipe and align to top of the arrow to the bottom of the Floor above.

Than TAG this family with the new TAG family.

See the result below.

distance pipe 2 floor.png

I am trying to get a Dynamo script that places the family automatically but that takes a little bit more time.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Kind regards,
Robert Klempau
Senior Consultant AEC
Cadac Group AEC BV

Tags (3)
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: robert.klempau

Thanks Robert.

I've had a look and its not quite what I'm after. The tag needs to be placed in plan or ceiling plan view on the pipe and measure from the centre of the pipe to the soffit. I want to avoid having to cut sections to tag anything. Its for Fire Sprinkler systems where all pipes run parallel to the soffit over. I'm sure its just a tag that needs to be coded in as its possible to get a Pipe Centre R.L and also a spot elevation to a slab soffit. Just need the tag to deduct the spot elevation R.L of the soffit above from the pipe centre R.L.

I've posted as well in the forum link you sent me. Hopefully they can help out.

Lee

Message 5 of 10
robert.klempau

Hello Lee,

I will get back to you on this.

Can you provide me with a picture of the situation in Revit.

I have a Dynamo script that places automatically a family at the top of the Pipe and calculates the distance between the top of the Pipe and the bottom of the Floor.

You can Tag the small family in the Floor plan if you like.

Kind regards,
Robert Klempau
Senior Consultant AEC
Cadac Group AEC BV

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: robert.klempau

Richard

The 1st snipit shows the length of the centre of pipe from the soffit over and I've also tagged the spot elevation of the centre of pipe. The 2nd shows the Pipe Tag as I ideally want it displayed with the 150 number in the circle box. Currently this number is a pipe parameter I've added to my projects. I have to manually cut a section, dimension the distance and input into the pipe properties. Issue is that when I move a pipes offset the input text stays as previous. I'd have to change it manually that I dont want to do.

Your way could work if it can be made to dimesnion from centre of pipe not top of pipe. Worst case for now I can keep on top of pipe and just advise the site installers that the offset height is from top of pipe not centre.

Appreciate your efforts 🙂

Capture_1.JPGCapture_2.JPG

Message 7 of 10
robert.klempau

Lee,

Please check this Dynamo script.

Maybe you can use this as a start.

you need the latest Dynamo version to run it.

1: open the project en go to a 3D view

2: open Dynamo

3: load script (.dny is in the zip file)

4: from script change selection of the pipe

5: from script change selection of the floor

5: change the distance slider or type a value (from beginning of the pipe)

6: click Run

7: go to the Floorplan and TAG the new placed family. (use GM_UN_distance arrow.rfa)

see result below in a Floorplan. (distance between top of pipe and bottom of Floor)floorplan 1.png

Hope this brings you a bit further.

Kind regards,
Robert Klempau
Senior Consultant AEC
Cadac Group AEC BV

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Hi,

@Anonymous wrote:

Trying to get a tag for Fire Sprinkler Systems pipework that will provide a (mm) distance from centre of pipe to underside face of element above. Basically a height to the centre of pipe below the soffit above. Always working in RCP view.

I've searched online and had no luck....

I had the same problem and I did using a new shared parameter. You can add a new shared parameter and apply it to any kind of element that you need. Then simply go to the value of the parameter and type: "=offset" 

Revit will give you the offset of that element in a new shared parameter. 

Creating a new tag using the shared parameter is easy then....

Best Regards

Mike

Tags (1)
Message 9 of 10
BiMBoXiT

I’ve done it with help of dynamo please have a look at it.

Created a shared parameters name as “Offset Value From Tslab” do the same on your project and follow the work flow as below

Open the Dynamo

Select True Slab – which you want to calculate pipe offset value from the slab level >

Select Model Elements – Select the pipe from the views >

Run

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps for everyone find answers more quickly!!!

BiMbOxIt

Snapshot 01.JPGSnapshot 02.JPG

BiM BoXiT
Message 10 of 10
sitiBDAH8
in reply to: BiMBoXiT

Hi, how do you create that shared parameter?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report