Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Fitting - Spud/tap to identify the size where it is tapping

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1509 Views, 7 Replies

Pipe Fitting - Spud/tap to identify the size where it is tapping

I'm not sure if its possible or not to create a fitting family that is a Spud/Tap that identifies the size where its tapping from.

I created a fitting that taps a branch pipe on the main pipe. But it could not get the size of the pipe where its tapping from (the main pipe). I need to identify the size of the fitting by the size of the main pipe and the branch pipe. Since the main pipe varies in size, I have to manually select fitting and change a parameter manually.

Is there a solution of this?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
luna.ye
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi John,

Welcome to Autodesk forum!

You need to add the pipe connectors on the fitting family, then associate the radius parameter to the connector, as below

fitting.jpg

How to associate family parameters, please refer to:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2018/ENU/?guid=GUID-E2E6B19B-E47F-4F35-9F6D-1273A3248A50

Hope this helps.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Luna Ye
Product Support
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: luna.ye

I already added a pipe connector and made it a reporting parameter. The idea is it will report the pipe (main pipe) where its tapped into, but it does not. The other one pipe connector, where you can draw pipe works fine.

Message 4 of 8
luna.ye

Can you provide the family as an attachment for my testing? I need to know the parameter settings to clarify it.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Luna Ye
Product Support
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: luna.ye

I deleted some of my parameter so I can share it. 

Message 6 of 8
perttu.valtonen7T5TT

Hi,

I have encountered this same problem here. Duct Tap -fitting seems to work with only one unique connection size. Family needs two connectors, but the connector on the side of main duct has the same value as the branch connector.

I need to make this tap type that changes shoulder length according to main duct and branch connection size. This seems impossible to make automatically. The problem is that there are only one connection size available and so you can't automatically read lookup table with two or more variables for connection sizes.

Have anyone encountered this same problem and dealt with it somehow? One way to go around this is to make this Tap product as Tee that gets two connection sizes, but this seems a bit stupid for me.

Message 7 of 8

Same problem. Also, because you need the source pipe size to relate to a unique item for scheduling. I.e. a 200 branch on a 250 pipe is something completely different from a 200 branch on a 500 pipe. They are not interchangable.

Anybody solved this? The Tee option is not really an option, as it will break the pipe in two segments.

Message 8 of 8

No solution found to this problem here. We are currently using this method where user enters the value for the main duct by hand. We are also working on a script that defines these values automatically. In small projects this hand written value is ok, but in big projects this increases chances for mistakes. Also we are using addin that does the sizing based on calculations for ducts and pipes and whenever size changes, this user entered value remains the same and is wrong usually.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators