Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pipe/duct SPLIT TOOL

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
2502 Views, 14 Replies

pipe/duct SPLIT TOOL

Hello and nice day to wish.

I woul like to ask for help, how to cut a pipe in revit.

I mean something like this https://youtu.be/zRaJh2d4Gws?t=1707.

Just split the pipe, no use a reducer.

I´ve been founding, but couldn´t found a correct reason why it doesn´t want to split a pipe.

When I use a split tool for this act that write some massage that I don´t understand vey well.

Many thanks for any answer.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
iainsavage
in reply to: Anonymous

I didn’t watch the 30+ minute video but to split a pipe use the split tool on the modify menu.

This will add a “union” fitting.

To create a gap use the split tool again a bit further along and then select the two unions and piece of pipe between and delete them.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/EN...

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: iainsavage

The video is seted up on time when the trik start (jusk click link).

It is not necassery to watch whole video.

But how to use that UNION fitting, like that trik in video ?

I don´t mean a reducer placing, I mean just split the pipe.

Message 4 of 15
iainsavage

I didn’t watch the 30+ minute video but to split a pipe use the split tool on the modify menu.

This will add a “union” fitting.

To create a gap use the split tool again a bit further along and then select the two unions and piece of pipe between and delete them.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/EN...

Sorry for repeating what I already said but that is the answer.
Message 5 of 15
hmunsell

so based on that video you want to cut the pipe, but NOT put a coupling or reducer in, correct? so you would just have 2 pieces of pipe butted up against each other?

Or are you looking to break the pipe and have a gap between the 2 ends?

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 15
hmunsell
in reply to: hmunsell

here is a short video showing your options

https://autode.sk/3nElUrf

if you want to split the pipe with now visible Coupling or Reducer, try loading this fitting and setting it as the Coupler option in the routing preferences.

Howard Munsell
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

Yes, I just want to split pipe without a gap and dont use union fittings.

If I tried to set up lenght of union fitting on 0, it doesn´t work and show me some popup window with description of mistake.

The video you made looks like could be solution, but is not.

On that video, I posted is pipe simple splited without UNION fiting and marked with simple line.

And if I try to change diameter of one pipe it don´t give automaticaly a reducer fitting (by your steps).

I would like to learn how he did it on the video that I show, to split pipe without gap or union fiting, marked with simple line.

Or do you think, that video I posted he used a very thin union fiting, but more than 0

Message 8 of 15
RobDraw

I don't think Revit allows you to have the condition that you describe. There needs to be something between the pipes. If you choose an air gap, the pipes might connect automatically if it's too small.

What is the application in real life that requires this?

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 9 of 15
hmunsell

"The video is seted up on time when the trik start"

The link you provided starts from the beginning as @iainsavage said, it doesn't jump to a specific point in the video.

That said :-). I watched the video, it is a pretty good instruction on "Creating a Duct/Pipe Reducer Fitting"

family. At approx. 29min he splits the Duct. He is not splitting the duct without a gap, a union fitting is being placed when he does the break in the duct. it is just so thin you cant see it. when the duct size is changed, Revit removes the union and places the transition family specified in the routing preferences.

If when you change the one side of the pipe to a larger size, it doesn't put in a reducer, check you routing preferences. make sure you have an appropriate transition family selected and set to the correct Min. Size.

https://autode.sk/35u3nrq

Howard Munsell

EESignature

Message 10 of 15
iainsavage

Okay I missed your point completely because I didn’t watch the video and didn’t pick up your intention from your description earlier.

If you do want them connected but with only a line then I’d suggest that you create a union fitting to simulate a butt weld and you should be able to give it any length that you like (but maybe has to be at least 1mm? - Revit generally doesn’t like anything smaller). You maybe need to experiment to see what works. But in real world even a butt weld has a definite length, maybe 10mm plus, rather than just a single line.

Like @RobDraw I can’t imagine why you would want to do this though, can’t think of a real world application for this.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

It is interesting.

I´ve been coping video with time section and when I click it start for me in 28 min and 27 sec.

Yes the trik start around 29 minute.

If I use a very thin UNION it works as you did in video or as is in video, that I posted.

It looks it is not possible to split pipe just by line.

The split line on videos yours and those is a very thin union fitting.

When I saw that topic video first time I tought it is just split line and than I started finding manuals how to split just by line. If I couldn´t find a solution on network I created this forum question. By the discus it lokks as split line doesn´t exist in video and it is very thin union fitting.

Thank you very much for discus.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

"What is the application in real life that requires this?"

"I can’t imagine why you would want to do this though, can’t think of a real world application for this."

I just want to split a pipe by line as video show, to learn a new trick.

But it is not a line, but it is a very thin UNION fitting as we all agreed.

Thank you for discus, time and opinions.

Message 13 of 15
iainsavage

Happy to help.

The reason that I asked those questions is because my take on Revit is that it is a digital representation of real world systems and I’ve never seen two actual pipes joined by a line.

I’d suggest that you should also consider the “I” in BIM and be using it to count, tag, schedule etc the pipe fittings rather than just concentrating on graphics.

IMHO.

Message 14 of 15
RobDraw

"Tricks are for kids." as the old saying goes.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

Hi Rudolf.

I'm the author of the video in question.

Hopefully I can assist in clearing up any confusion. I used the split tool when dividing that pipe into two segments. I was using standard library elements when testing the fitting, so there is a coupling that joins the two pipes, however the coupling is extremely thin and thus not easy to see, but it is there.

If you split the pipe, and a coupling is created, you can delete the coupling and the pipes will automatically re-join into a single element. however, if you split the pipe and then shorten one to de-couple them, you can delete the coupling and the pipes will not re-join.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators