Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overlaying a pdf with a Revit drawing? (Revit 2020)

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
cjacobsLDX59
554 Views, 12 Replies

Overlaying a pdf with a Revit drawing? (Revit 2020)

Hi all,

So from what I've read, it sounds like the reason why my inserted pdfs in Revit aren't visible is due to "Raster Images" being unchecked in my visibility graphics (settings). However when I pull it up ("VG") and scroll down, the attached is what I see, with no ability to check the box, or seemingly to even change the setting in general. Any advice? Please tell me I'm missing something obvious :).

Thanks in advance,

cjacobsLDX59_0-1643903698502.png

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
ToanDN
in reply to: cjacobsLDX59

The view has a View Template assigned to it.  Edit the View Template instead.

Message 3 of 13
cjacobsLDX59
in reply to: ToanDN

Does this have to be done per drawing? I'm having trouble finding a way to override a setting on the template for each dwg at once.
Message 4 of 13
ToanDN

No.  If you change the View Template then all views using that template will be changed.  That's what template means.

Message 5 of 13
cjacobsLDX59

It's odd b/c all of the templates that I can find which are even remotely relevant have the visibility settings just the way I want them...

...is there any way of telling exactly which template is active for a given view?
Message 6 of 13
ToanDN

@cjacobsLDX59 wrote:
It's odd b/c all of the templates that I can find which are even remotely relevant have the visibility settings just the way I want them...

...is there any way of telling exactly which template is active for a given view?

You can create a View List schedule, add View Template field and Sort by it.

Message 7 of 13
s.borello

Set the view template for the view to none... then you can mess about under VG.  Otherwise I would follow advice from @ToanDN.

Message 8 of 13
cjacobsLDX59
in reply to: s.borello

How do I set the view template of a view to none? This'd make the process SO much easier :)!

Message 9 of 13
ToanDN

@cjacobsLDX59 wrote:

How do I set the view template of a view to none? This'd make the process SO much easier :)!

from properties.

ToanDN_0-1643911905998.png

However, View Templates are there for a reason, usually a good one.  I would not change the View Template to None for Document Views.  Talk with someone in charged of setting up the revit standards in your office before doing so.

Message 10 of 13
cjacobsLDX59

Thanks!

But even with the VG all in line, all I can see from the pdf is one big, dashed "X" as shown in this screenshot...

cjacobsLDX59_0-1643913876546.png

Message 11 of 13
ToanDN

Highlight the PDF image > Click manage Links on Ribbon > Reload or Reload From (if the path changed).

ToanDN_0-1643914260957.png

Message 12 of 13
cjacobsLDX59

Okay so I was able to drag the pdf onto the screen by dragging the big, blue X. However at this point it's impossible to tell what's pdf and what's Revit drawing!

Is there a way to alter the visibility/appearance of one or the other so the difference is clear?

Thanks,

Message 13 of 13
ToanDN

@cjacobsLDX59 wrote:

Okay so I was able to drag the pdf onto the screen by dragging the big, blue X. However at this point it's impossible to tell what's pdf and what's Revit drawing!

Is there a way to alter the visibility/appearance of one or the other so the difference is clear?

Thanks,

You cannot override graphics of a PDF in Revit.  It is what it is.  If you zoom in you can see the PDF is fuzzier than Revit elements because it is a raster.

After placing the PDF properly, you can pin it and Disallow Selection of Pinned Elements so that you don't accidently select the PDF and move/delete it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report