Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Revit MEP - Introduction

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
855 Views, 6 Replies

New to Revit MEP - Introduction

Hey guys, 

new to Revit MEP and have just completed a 32hour fundamentals course with the goal of taking our company from 2d CAD up to level 2 BIM over the coming years.

I'm awaiting my new work station to arrive as my current one is under powered but until it does just an introduction of my self to the forum.

i will mainly be drawing HVAC with some domestic water services. we are an mechanical install/design company as well as maintenance.

if anyone has any tips straight off the bat, any good tutorials etc that would all appreciated.

until then i have a project to try my new skill out on (although i also have the draw the model) so its just me and my "Mastering Revit MEP" book.

i think the idea for us as a company is to start using the software and its 3d capabilities. get to the grips with its scheduling functions and how we are going to present our drawings then focus on how we will collaborate with others. i am currently the only CAD user within the company (now training REVIT) with a new CAD Junior on route to ease my work load.

again... just an introduction.

thanks

Sean

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Erense
in reply to: Anonymous

I think the most important thing is not to trying to invent the wheel again. However beware of the usability of objects found created by others (Users, Suppliers, Fabricators) especially with connector usage in mind.

Wrong connector properties can throw off your entire project concerning heating/cooling loads and flow.

Also the correct family type is important when creating discipline dependent views and having to toggle visibility.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Kind regards,

Edwin Rense
Cadac Group AEC BV
Supporting Consultant AEC
Cadac Group .
Message 3 of 7
rudi.roux

Hi @Anonymous

It is certainly exciting to develop with your firm in a shift from general 2D Drafting to 3D BIM, and the Mechanical side of things is very enjoyable. 

What I could recommend is to GO THROUGH THIS POST where I provided detailed advice to a different community member regarding training & tutorials. 

The post revolves around a bit of Revit MEP and mainly Revit Architecture Training, but everything which I advised on for Revit Architecture can be mimicked for Revit MEP training going forward. 

If you have any additional questions, I'll be glad to answer them!

I hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Rudi Roux
MSc | Digital Engineering Manager
LinkedIn
Revit Mechanical & Electrical Systems 2018 Certified Professional | Revit MEP & Architecture 2015 Certified Professional
AutoCAD 2015 Certified Professional | Autodesk Building Performance Analysis (BPA) Certificate

If this post resolved your issue, kindly Accept as the Solution below. Kudos are always welcome

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Erense

that makes complete sense! thank you.

i am also going on a 2 day content creation course which should help me develop my own "familys" 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: rudi.roux

thank you very much for this! i already have my eyes set on passing the certification. thats something that majorly appeals to me. That seems like a great post so thank you for the link i will take some time during my train commute home to read through it all!

as mentioned before it may be that i have to model some of the buildings my self so any architectural help is a bonus so thank you for that.

cant wait to get my teeth into a BIM project.
Message 6 of 7
rudi.roux

It's a pleasure @Anonymous, read through my post as you mentioned and what I could add to that post is if/when you use CADLearning for further development, you'll have access to currently 50x different Autodesk Software Sections. (Each with anything between 1 to around 12 Courses in each section) along with a bunch of Certified Professional Prep Courses. And if you're going BIM, there is also Navisworks training available. 

1-revit.png

1-revit-1.png

I hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Rudi Roux
MSc | Digital Engineering Manager
LinkedIn
Revit Mechanical & Electrical Systems 2018 Certified Professional | Revit MEP & Architecture 2015 Certified Professional
AutoCAD 2015 Certified Professional | Autodesk Building Performance Analysis (BPA) Certificate

If this post resolved your issue, kindly Accept as the Solution below. Kudos are always welcome

Message 7 of 7
fabiosato

Hello Sean-CAD,

One point to take care in the beginning is how to link and use the architecture file, for HVAC projects, the creation of spaces and areas are fundamental for the analysis part, of course this is an advanced level stuff, but keep this in your radar!

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report