Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nested Annotation <Family type> parameter not associating when loaded into 3D family

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
allisonLWLN4
308 Views, 7 Replies

Nested Annotation <Family type> parameter not associating when loaded into 3D family

Hi! I'm trying to create a floor box 3D family in Revit 2020 with it's annotation loaded into it that has interchangeable options for the types of outlets used in it driven by 3 different <family type> parameters. For some reason, though, when I load my annotation into the 3D model, I can't associate the 3 <family type> parameters to the 3D model. Is there a way I can do this or is it not possible?

I've already created my annotation and basically it has 3 boxes with an annotation symbol placed in each. Each annotation is driven by a <family type> parameter so you can select which symbol will be in each box (as seen below). 

allisonLWLN4_0-1718901627107.png

The annotation itself works perfectly, no problems there. However, when I load it into my 3D model family, the <family type> parameters of the annotation doesn't allow me to associate them to the 3D model in order for the annotation to stay functional (photo below). There's no formulas attached to these parameters, the annotations are not shared, and I've tried them as instance and type but it's the same thing either way. 

allisonLWLN4_1-1718902309414.png

Is this something I'm doing wrong/that can be fixed or is it just something that can't be done? Thank you! 🙂

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
fabiosato
in reply to: allisonLWLN4

Hello,

Do you want to be able to change the annotation family in the project?

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
allisonLWLN4
in reply to: fabiosato

Yes, I want to have the same options I have in the annotation currently in it's parent 3D family but I can't associate the parameters.

Message 4 of 8

Did you use shared family?

curtisridenour_0-1719239805983.png

Could you post the family to the forum so we investigate further?

Message 5 of 8

I dont think you can associate a Family Type parameter to a nested family. What you can do is create types that you want and have a Family Types parameter pick between those types. But if you have 3 symbols and multiple options for those symbols, the permutations of types adds up really really fast.

Message 6 of 8

It seems like you have several symbols living in a container Annotation Family. I would suggest loading all the nested annotations into the 3D family and placing each nested family individually. This would allow you to associated a Family Types parameter to them. You could make these instance or type based on your preference.

Message 7 of 8
fabiosato

Hello,

If you plan to use each option in a formula to change the symbol, you must create a family-type parameter.

Another option is to create multiple family types and assign a symbol to each type.

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
allisonLWLN4

UPDATE: SOLUTION

I found a way around it to resolve the issue! In the annotation family,

1. I kept the 3 "box" <family type> parameters that directly related to the 3 nested annotation families that I had shown originally in the first post.allisonLWLN4_1-1719924130468.png
  2. I added 4 <family type> parameters which don't control anything in the family and called them "Option_1", "Option_2", so on and so forth. Each option corresponds to one of the annotations you can choose from. These will be used as options for the family type parameters which control the annotation.allisonLWLN4_2-1719924229234.png
  3. Next, I added 3 number parameters called "BOX 1", "BOX 2", AND "BOX 3". Those will be used to control the 3 family type parameters using the options and can be associated to the 3D family.allisonLWLN4_3-1719924293673.png
  4. Lastly, I added the following formulas to the original 3 <family type> parameters for the boxes:
    1. for Box 1 > if(BOX 1 = 1, Option_1, if(BOX 1 = 2, Option_2, if(BOX 1 = 3, Option_3, Option_4)))
    2. for Box 2 > if(BOX 2 = 1, Option_1, if(BOX 2 = 2, Option_2, if(BOX 2 = 3, Option_3, Option_4)))
    3. for Box 3 > if(BOX 3 = 1, Option_1, if(BOX 3 = 2, Option_2, if(BOX 3 = 3, Option_3, Option_4)))

With all of that, the number parameters now control the graphics of the 3 boxes in the annotation. The number parameters can then be associated to the 3D family, allowing for a really round about way to associate the <family type> nested annotations in the 3D family!

This article might explain it better: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/repetitions-randomness-revit-part-2-alfredo-medina/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators