Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Masking Region Won't Mask Background

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
nschweitzer9ZNKA
1941 Views, 10 Replies

Masking Region Won't Mask Background

I'm working in Revit 2021 and I can't get the masking region to mask the architectural background. In this snip you can see that it masks the floor boxes just south of the line but does not mask the architectural walls, furniture, etc.

nschweitzer9ZNKA_0-1623077134262.png

I have many views using this power plan template and the other views have no issues with masking regions. The view template sets the visual style to Hidden Line and the transparency of detail items to 0. There is just this one view that somehow has different properties. I have tried copying a working masking region from a different power plan view into this view and it no longer works.

Labels (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

This isn’t a direct answer to your question but is there not a better way of hiding things that you don't want to see?

If the background is a Revit model, change the visibility graphics in the Revit Links tab.

If the background is a CAD plan, change the layer visibility in the Imported Categories tab.

Does that not work?

Message 3 of 11

The background is a Revit model and the view template is controlling the Revit links.
I have since found that the masking region works until I draw wires on the plan. Once wires are drawn the masking goes away on screen. However, when actually printed out the masking works correctly.
Message 4 of 11

I’m still not clear as to why you are using masking regions to hide parts of the link.

You should be able to turn off any category or filter out any families in the link by editing the settings in the view template.

What in particular are you trying to not see in the link?

Message 5 of 11

It is a very large building with multiple areas. I'm using masking regions to be able to get the sheet notes on some of the sheets. The masking regions all work except for the power sheets that have wiring on them.

nschweitzer9ZNKA_0-1623244889626.png

Message 6 of 11
ToanDN
in reply to: nschweitzer9ZNKA

@nschweitzer9ZNKA wrote:

It is a very large building with multiple areas. I'm using masking regions to be able to get the sheet notes on some of the sheets. The masking regions all work except for the power sheets that have wiring on them.

Why not crop the view properly?  Use a custom shaped crop region if needs be.

Message 7 of 11
apjones
in reply to: nschweitzer9ZNKA

I agree there are probably better ways to accomplish what you need, but you know your situation better that I do.  Make sure that your view you are trying to place the mask on is NOT set to wireframe...

Pete

>Please Accept as Solution and give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 8 of 11
nschweitzer9ZNKA
in reply to: apjones

It is not set to wireframe. Also, the masking region works great until I draw a wire. The wire breaks the masking region so it no longer masks what is behind it. However, all the views that don't have wires drawn have perfectly functioning masking regions. I feel like it's some kind of Revit glitch.

Message 9 of 11

Finding this is a very common problem that people have been running into for a long time. Today I found a work around that assigns the masking region to a new reference plane just above the liked cad. It works until you add something to the plan that would be below the masking region - like a 2d element or even a room. The color of the room is now masked which is the issue that I need help with now...

If you aren't worried about a similar situation though I would suggest setting the masking region to a new plane.

Message 10 of 11
kmillerBHFJ6
in reply to: kmillerBHFJ6

you can also do it reverse, drop the cad to a lower plane and use a floor as the masking region. hint: always link your cad to generic model family first and load it into your model.. lower memory and avoid any junk linetypes.

we just realized a solution to the room color. filled regions that are the same color as the room assignment.

Message 11 of 11

I agree with @ToanDN , you should use crop region for the 3D elements, some 2d elements may still be visible depending on your annotation crop. For those I just hide them but there could be a better way to manage that. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report