Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In dire need of help; rotating a component freely in 3 planes

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
990 Views, 11 Replies

In dire need of help; rotating a component freely in 3 planes

Hello all, i am working on a smaller footballstadium and i need to place speakers in very specific locations (obviously). Problem is the speaker family i am using i can't for the life of me figure out how to rotate. Thank you in advance for any words of advice!

Here is the family as well, if that makes things easier.

Labels (3)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
ToanDN
in reply to: Anonymous

Create the family as work plane based, turn off Always vertical. Place it on a reference plane in project, you can rotate it freely on that plane, that takes care fo X and Y. Now you can rotate that plane to take care of Z.

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

Already done all those, but didnt think about rotating the plane itself. Thank you! I´ll try and mark as solution if works

Message 4 of 12
iainsavage

Alfredo Medina used to have a great tutorial for this but I think he’s taken the page down.

This thread may give some clues but the links to his planta1.com site don’t work I’m afraid.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/rotation-in-any-axis/td-p/3344679

Message 5 of 12
fabiosato

Hello,

I have created two videos that may help you.

Z rotation 

X-Y plane Rotation 

Fábio Sato
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
curtisridenour
in reply to: fabiosato

@fabiosato this video was very informative. I have been making parametric families for 10 years and i never knew you could host to the reference planes at the end of a reference line. Kudos

Message 7 of 12

Dear fabiosato,

Thank you very much to contribute your info with no return, and it is really amazing what you have done the video. After coming back to school and discussion with tutor, who advise to rather create family drawing within the metric generic coordinate than import from download, which may hidden bug, resulting in incapable free movement in all round. Would you please share with how do you think the proposition?  Thank you.

Regards

Joseph Foeng

Message 8 of 12
ToanDN
in reply to: 3260525644

To rotate a family freely in all directions, create the family using Mechanical Equipment family template, check Always Vertical, uncheck Work plane.  There you have it.

Toan Nguyen

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
fabiosato

Hello,

I never faced such a problem, but according to my experience using Revit, anything is possible.

Bugs appear anytime due to a specific combination of actions; at least, this is my experience. More than once, I just started from scratch, and the problem did not happen.

Fábio Sato

EESignature

Message 10 of 12

Dear fabiosato,

Thank you to share with your opinion, like a light house luminates the path ahead of my sight.  I inquired my tutor who advised to rely upon the metric generic coordinate to draw the family, in similar to your produced video.  Actually, I would like to rather learn from you advise on how I can import the downloaded family into the coordinate and enable it to rotate and move freely in 3 planes, than do as he advised?

Regards

Joseph Foeng

Message 11 of 12
fabiosato

Hello,

As I said before, it may depend on the category you need the element to be.

Usually, when we create a new component, the category selection and part type, if that is the case, come first.

Then we go after how to make it move freely.

Fábio Sato

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
ToanDN

@3260525644 wrote:

Dear fabiosato,

Thank you to share with your opinion, like a light house luminates the path ahead of my sight.  I inquired my tutor who advised to rely upon the metric generic coordinate to draw the family, in similar to your produced video.  Actually, I would like to rather learn from you advise on how I can import the downloaded family into the coordinate and enable it to rotate and move freely in 3 planes, than do as he advised?

Regards

Joseph Foeng

Use Mechanical Equipment category to create the family, Uncheck Work Plane, Check Always Vertical, then you can rotate it freely in the project.

Toan Nguyen

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators