Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing from Inventor

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
672 Views, 5 Replies

Importing from Inventor

Hello all! 

I am a long time reader, but first time poster.  I am trying to import models from inventor to Revit MEP (using AEC connector).  I understand that the model imported into my .rfa family is static and not parametric; however is there a way to make a model imported from inventor into revit parametric after the import? 

Sorry if this is a silly question, I guess I am still trying to get my footing on this whole import-export deal. 

Cheers!

Trevor

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CoreyDaun
in reply to: Anonymous

As far as I have seen, imported Inventor models remain static. If you needed to show different models in the same Family, you could use Parameter Formulas to control their visibility.

Feel free to post any questions you have, not matter how silly they may sound...

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

How would you go about doing that?  For example, I am working on a project involving ball valves involving several line sizes for the valve bodym and as the line size increases, the actuator must also increase to provide more torque.  The way I was going about it was to model it parametrically in Revit with a Type Catalog.  As a user selects a ball valve size, the model parametrically adjusts to be accurate.  However, modelling these valves take a long time, and we have the drawings given to us in DWG or IGES files already.  It would simplify workflow greatly if we could just import the IGES/DWG model, and somehow change the sizes based on the model selection in the type catalog. 

Appreciate any suggestions!  And I hope that made sense, i tried my best to make it as straightforward as possible.  lol

Cheers

Trevor

Message 4 of 6
CoreyDaun

An element's visibility parameter can be tied to a Yes/No parameter by clicking on the small grey button to the right of the parameter. It sounds like you would have to recreate the valve in Revit to achieve such parametric functionality, and it does not sound like an easy task.

Attached in a random sample Family (Revit MEP 2012) with some .dwg imports from Inventor Fusion. The family appears to function parametrically, because I imported the components separately.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Or is there a way to have different model selections in the type catalog reference a different model?  we are importing these files out of a cad program (something like nx or pro-e).  there are models for every different valve body, I am just trying to figure out a good streamlined way of using these precreated models, because it makes no sense to spend hours redoing something that is already done. 

Cheers

Trevor

Message 6 of 6
CoreyDaun

A Type Catalog is just stored sets of preset parameter values. There are no tricks that could be pulled with those that could help you, that I am aware of. Recreating it would be the best way, since importing multiple overlapping objects will dramatically increase the file size. I know it makes no sense to redraw and it seems like a waste of time, but in order to get parametric functionality out of a Revit Family, you have to do what Revit wants.

As a side note, I end up completely redrawing most manufacturer lighting families because they overcomplicate them with over-detailed, embedded components and inflate the file size.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators