Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop Background Processes?

69 REPLIES 69
SOLVED
Message 1 of 70
Anonymous
57559 Views, 69 Replies

How to stop Background Processes?

Im working on a MEP model with HVAC services and I was working away and tried to save it but a message popped up and saying 'cannot save this document because duct systems are calculating' Ive found the background processes icon on the status bar to monitor them but cannot cancel them or stop them so I can save my work. very frustrating as its been doing this for over 3 hours now.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

69 REPLIES 69
Message 41 of 70
anil.kumarLHP6C
in reply to: RSomppi

1. I have been studying this for the past few according to me this is a family problem
Message 42 of 70
RSomppi
in reply to: anil.kumarLHP6C

@anil.kumarLHP6C wrote:
  1. I have been studying this for the past few according to me this is a family problem

It could be a family causing an error in in flows or maybe the family wasn't applied properly but thanks for affirming that it could be solved with correct modeling at the user level.

Message 43 of 70
TDEC_PAC
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi there,

Try choose from ribbon tab: COLLABORATE -> COLLABORATE or COLLABORATE IN CLOUD.

The first step, Revit will force to save model (even background processes are calculation).

This way can be used many times.

After save would be good to stop Revit in Windows Task Manager and open model again.

Message 44 of 70
ray.couzens

Apparently the trick is to expand the Revit one line onside task manager and "end process" on the one line item in the drop down list that is using 0% resources. Voila, now you can save, sync etc.

Message 45 of 70
gmalota22

Work around found here:

https://resources.imaginit.com/support-blog/cannot-synchronize-to-central-system-volumes-are-calcula... 

Solution is basically go through the pipe system in the system browser and find any that have 'Calculations' set to 'All', and change them to 'None'. Then use Windows Task Manager. Under the "Details" tab (important!) find 'RevitWorker.exe' and use the 'End Process' on it. That will interrupt the Background Processes. You should get an error in Revit that they were cancelled. Then you can save and sync. Then exit Revit completely and restart Revit.

Message 46 of 70
karin.fourie

I saw a workaround on another forum and that has worked for me.  The problem first appear when I was doing steel connections.  When I clicked on the little grey circle in the bottom right hand corner of the screen, it said that no background calculations were running but I was still getting the error.   The work around is to undo a few of your commands (click and select about 10 commands) and then click to redo all of them.  Then the error disappears.  Unfortunately you have to do it after every few commands.

Message 47 of 70

Hi karin.fourie,

Thanks so much for giving me your valuable reply.
Message 48 of 70

Thanks.  This is the only thing that worked for me.

Message 49 of 70
tanner_trosen

I found that the only way I could get the background process to stop and to sync to central was to go up to the undo drop down menu next to sync and undo the process that caused the issue. In my case it was a systems analysis. That fixed it instantly for me in Revit 2022.

Message 50 of 70

When i did this, the program froze and i had to close without save or sync

Message 51 of 70
ohargraves

I'm working out of 2022.1. None of these solutions are working. I changed all the calculations for my piping systems to "None", won't let me save. I changed all the calculations for my piping systems to "Performance", won't let me save. I tried closing from the "File" tab, still won't let me save. I can't find anything in the Task Manager like what WDI-Greg described.

Message 52 of 70
RobDraw

Are you sure it's piping that is calculating?

How complete are your systems?

Any open ends, interconnected systems?

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 53 of 70
imikan_usoro
in reply to: info

@info solution worked for me. Revit 2021.

Message 54 of 70
wgrosskopf

The solution that worked for me was to open another Revit file and then tried to save that file. Revit allowed me to save the newly opened file. Once that file was saved, I returned to original file where I had the "background calculations" error and attempted to save that file which was then successful.

In short, it seems that by opening a new file, it forces Revit to acknowledge that no calculations are being done. 

Message 55 of 70
Antonio_Lomeli

A mi me funcionó apagar los procesos de MEP y después abrir otro archivo desde Revit, volviendo al archivo con el proceso pendiente, automáticamente me apareció el mensaje de recordatorio de guardado.

Message 56 of 70
dongse_eng

OMG thank you thankyou It works

Message 57 of 70
waldo9QBRP

Hi, I have encountered the same with the calculation. 

In my case, all the system types that are present has the option to switch of the calculation mode, however, the Hydronic system does not, any chance why?

waldo9QBRP_2-1699622897218.png

waldo9QBRP_1-1699622799694.png

Message 58 of 70
Krzyszt0f
in reply to: waldo9QBRP

We have encountered the same issue, but with Color Fills, not systems or families.

color fills calculating.png

Task Manager > Details > RevitWorker.exe > rightclick - End Task  > End Process is the only way to allow saving those files affected.

Message 59 of 70
lmitroL9J69
in reply to: J_Lorenc

This is what happened to me. I killed the background process, and it corrupted some process in the Revit program. I had to completely wipe my computer and reinstall everything. DO NOT KILL REVITWORKER.EXE TASK

I am still unaware if there's any way to stop the calculations from happening. it's the most infuriating issue.

Message 60 of 70
RSomppi
in reply to: lmitroL9J69

@lmitroL9J69 wrote:

DO NOT KILL REVITWORKER.EXE TASK

Apparently, it has worked for others. Maybe you got something else going on.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators