Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to extract quantities from the Revit Model

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
chakra48
3567 Views, 11 Replies

how to extract quantities from the Revit Model

Hi to all.

I have one Revit Model  consisting of Mechanical, Phe and Fire fighting servies and Electrical services like ELV, Power, Lighting. I have the BOQ from Consultant.

Now i wish to extract the qty from Revit, with single click and export to Excel. From the Excel File, i can format all the equipments, valves, pipes, fittings and electrical accessories, cable tray and cable tray fittings. 

Pls tell me how to do it from Revit schedules with single click. Is it possible or not? If possible kindly advise me how to do it.

Regards,

Ramesh

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
RobDraw
in reply to: chakra48

Single click?

Doubt it.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 3 of 12
chakra48
in reply to: RobDraw

one expert person told me this "Single click" I know it is not possible. I just wanted our community people, how they are explaining, i will give revert back. Assume on 7 story Hotel building, if we need to extract and format into excel, how many days it will take? (including mech, phe, fire fighting and electrical power, lighting,elv, cctv etc.

Message 4 of 12
RobDraw

This is going to be difficult. 

You started off by asking for something a single click function that you knew to be impossible to "how many days?"

It's really hard to tell where you are at.

Rob

Message 5 of 12
fabiosato

Hello,

It will depend on many factors, how do you want to sort the schedules?

Can they be by category or multi-category?

Which information you need from each category of components?

Fábio Sato
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
iainsavage

@chakra48 wrote:

Assume on 7 story Hotel building, if we need to extract and format into excel, how many days it will take?

If you just want overall quantities the size of the building doesn’t matter - one schedule will export all mechanical plant for example, or all pipe, or all pipe fittings etc, no matter what size of building or how many components.

If you want to break it down floor-by-floor or room-by-room then that’s when it gets a bit more complicated and time consuming.

Assuming you’ve scheduled your items already then all you need is to include a Count field (Length field for linear components like pipe), group by type, system, size etc. Uncheck Itemize Every Instance. Export. Job done.

You could use an addon like Sheetlink by Diroots which is a bit easier than just using the File>export>report function in native Revit.

I’d say its a few clicks rather than one click and shouldn't take days and however you do it, it will still be far quicker and far more accurate than manually counting off of drawings.

Message 7 of 12
chakra48

Thanks for your input. Can you share your take off with multi or various sehedues in Revit

Message 8 of 12
iainsavage

I’m not sure if I understand your question but what you should realise is that Revit knows everything about every parameter in every element in the model, immediately.

Every time you add, delete, change anything Revit knows about it. That’s the “I” in BIM.

A schedule is then just a special type of view which shows you the data rather than the geometry.

You could have one multi-category schedule for every item in the model - it wouldn’t be very helpful though because it could only use the fields which are common to every element category e.g. Mark, Comments, Description etc. It can have a Count field but there is no Length field, so it could include the quantity of pipes or ducts or conduits but not their linear length.

So to make your schedules more useful you filter them - first by Category, then more parameter fields will appear which are specific to that Category. Then you can filter/sort further using the parameters, e.g. by Level, by System etc etc.

You can add custom parameters to give you more filtering/sorting control for example a code for different sectors of the building.

Whatever way you cut it though the data in every schedule in the model is the same data, you are just looking at it from a different perspective.

Not sure if that helps.

Message 9 of 12
GlynnisVP

Not 1-step. but here's a 2-step method that we documented a while ago. It's still valid.

https://ideatesoftware.com/ideatebimlink/videos/2-step-quantity-takeoff-with-ideate-bimlink

Message 10 of 12
ilana.bXC8ZE

Hi! So it isn't one click but it is very quick (literally 3 clicks, once you're signed up for free and have the model open): BIMSearch is integrated with Autodesk so is in their app shop. It's a free web application that accesses a model saved on BIM 360 or ACC and makes it searchable. It's designed to do quantity takeoffs really quickly.  https://bim-search.com/  

Message 11 of 12
ilana.bXC8ZE
in reply to: RobDraw

How about 3 clicks? 6 if you include opening the file? I haven't counted how many it is to sign up etc, but once you're up and running it can be done in as little as literally 3 clicks.
I know you aren't asking the question, and I don't want to get salespitchy (although the app is free so i'm not sure it counts as sales) but the purpose of BIMSearch (integrated with Autodesk, in the app store) is to calculate quantities fast.
Message 12 of 12
RobDraw
in reply to: ilana.bXC8ZE

No need to address an additional response to me. I can see your first one.

Rob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report